Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 11:35:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Jupiter & Venus closing!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Jupiter & Venus closing!  (Read 12570 times)
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2008, 09:39:56 pm »

Holy Crap, you guys should see the APOD today, its amazing! overlooking LA, all the smog, its crazy...

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0812/happyla_jurasevich_big.jpg
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2008, 09:41:49 pm »

That's a great image. Lovely contrast!!

Have you seen Mike Hollingshead's conjunction images Tyler?. Stunning car trails and planets captured!
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2008, 09:46:02 pm »

oh yeah those were great, over i80. I noticed them on your site too, and thanks for featuring my photo on your site   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2008, 10:37:27 pm »

attempted some trails last night...

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: December 03, 2008, 10:54:49 pm »

That's very cool Tyler. What was the exposure on those?. I can only push 30 sec's with my camera so I can't get any decent trails  Cry, I need to get a DSLR.

I have a report on the site about the conjunction if anyone is interested in having a look....

http://www.nightskyhunter.com/Venus,Jupiter,%20Moon%20Conjunction%20-%20Dec%201st%2008%20-%20Page%201.html

My eyes are sore looking at the computer screen. I will need to check over it again for mistakes.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »

Martin, your report is great! Enjoyed wathcing the photos, especially the one from Dec.01 with Moon & cloud (widefield).

Tyler, it's nice to see something different. Well done.

That APOD image has a breathtaking foreground!

BTW have you already seen Spaceweather pages 1,2 on conjunction? Great selection of images. I can't wait to see more.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
rjgjr
« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2008, 03:33:07 pm »

I really love that shot of LA with the conjunction. I've been on Mt. Wilson many times, but only during the daytime. Have to be brave to go up there at night, lots of loonies. Tyler, I love the star trail photo you did. That's something I want to get back into whenever I get a remote shutter release for my Canon. Hopefully Santa will remember to put one in my stocking this Christmas.

Richard
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2008, 12:24:20 am »

A great read, Martin. My favourite photos have to be at the roadside and how lucky to get a Cb in the frame as well.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: December 05, 2008, 05:21:26 pm »

Cheers John. I should have went down to the road earlier on Dec 1st and got car trails with all three bodies above the road. I regret not getting a shot of the conjunction over the road centre, as it converges to the horizon. Probably a blessing though, the road was too dangerous anyway.

Had another look at the planets this evening, they are still extremely attractive looking. Planety of photo opps still waiting.

Love that image of the planet and light house on SW.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2008, 08:00:32 pm »

True Martin, this is them at 16:52UT. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2008, 11:01:40 pm »

Nice one John. Good to see these planets are still being photographed. I regret not taking an image this evening as they looked amazing over the patchy snow. I must turn the scope on them on Sat. Tracking them both down in daylight would be interesting.
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2008, 12:48:22 pm »

I got around to slinging this up to YouTube - see how lucky I was with the weather!

Enjoy!

Paul.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:51:12 pm by paul » Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2008, 04:27:21 pm »

Oh - How disappointing for you, you remained remarkably resigned (calm)  to the impending cloud cover   but it was nevertheless fascinating, I haven't seen that event before ...well done.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2008, 06:34:50 pm »

Great video Paul. I really enjoyed that!.

Venus and Jupiter are still looking great. This evening they where only about 7 degrees apart in a horizontal line. Venus to the L, and Jupiter to the R. Took a few snaps. Severe frost at the time with patchy snow still on the ground. It hasn't thawed here at all in three days. I observed both planets in the 8.5" F/7 reflector. I could see the phase of Venus and belts of Jupiter. I earlier spotted Venus in daylight with the naked eye while the Sun was still up. I was surprised how easy it was. I had just woken up late after an all night observing session, looked out the window...and there she was! The 16.19 UT ISS pass was also visible in very bright twilight. The station passed below the Moon. I tracked it in the scope and could see great structure from the solar panels.

Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2008, 07:24:04 pm »

Nice Martin! Yes, I was able to see Venus very early as well due south and well before the sun set. Try as I did I couldn't see the ISS on the first pass, the sky was just too bright. Got it on the 17:55UT pass though. For the second or third time this week I have seen bright meteors while watching the ISS. Long slow and with a long tail, "earth grazers?"  Got some images of the planets as well but they are similar to your's so no need to upload them. Lovely sunset today as well!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum