Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 08:56:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Approaching Ana Cold Front - Nov 8th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Approaching Ana Cold Front - Nov 8th  (Read 271 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: November 09, 2008, 11:47:18 pm »

Here's a few images I took of the approaching Ana cold front which crossed Ireland on Nov 8th. The cold air along the front lifts the warm ahead of it upwards violently and can produce severe weather. This is looking SW at around 12.00 UT. This is the front moving towards me. It had a type of shelf which extended across the entire sky. The front itself was the length of Ireland so this is just the section which crossed through Maghera. Not very photogenic but it was very impressive visually at the time. It also looked extremely menacing. The shelf was darker than this but I had to overexpose the image to get the precip curtain behind. I have attached two sat images combined with radar readings ( thanks to the UKWW) which show it before it hit my location. You can see the intensity of the red echoes. At the time my images were taken it was actually white! - the heaviest reading on the met office radar. The front arrived with rain and squalls. On the image the white area under the shelf is the intense precip curtain. A similar Ana front caused the Aghalee and Rasharkin tornadoes several years ago.

This last not very good image was taken from home looking S towards Slieve Gallion in the late afternoon. This is the only image I know of showing the active cold front as a nasty squall line. This was actually a tripple point. It's racing towards me here. It was violent when it hit. It produced a good 30 min's of gale force squalls, rain and sleet. The same squall further south caused a damaging tornado. This is the northern portion. I have just heard today that the same squall may have produced 1, and possibly 3 tornadoes in Britain today.

Not very attractive images due to poor conditions and mid level cloud but it was the most active cold front to cross Ireland/N. Ireland this year!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:46:58 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 09:39:02 am »

Gloomy weather...

Especially the last shot. You must write below it "what a beautiful weather I had here recently"  Grin Wink
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum