Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 09:40:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Life of not so wild

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Life of not so wild  (Read 853 times)
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2008, 03:38:35 pm »

From my garden over the last couple of days

It's Mine

I was surprised to see this ... Couldn't believe something so twitchy was on the ground under the feeder

And then... I opened the back door and was watching with the camera poised to try and catch a Starling coming in to land when I saw this on the fence

And to top it off... With me about 15 feet away with the door open ...
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 04:25:48 pm »

Absolutely lovely John. These images are fantastic. Numbers 2 and 6 really stand out. Great stuff.

I must plant a few trees in my back garden to attract these guys over!
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 05:51:32 pm »

Splendid work there John! I couldn't have anything like that in my garden - my cats would simply attack and kill anything that came anywhere it!

P.
Report Spam   Logged

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 07:48:54 pm »

Thanks Gents... Martin, I've heard the birds want a bush or something to hide in near the feeder, that won't help with the squirrel though. Paul, my cat is getting on for 14 and simply can't be bothered. She spends most of the day curled up in the warm.
Report Spam   Logged

John

*** My Astro Blog ***
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 08:22:34 pm »

Number 6 is really good. Crisp and good colors. This makes me want a zoom lens  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 10:55:24 pm »

Lovely images John. I have a nestbox just outside my window here and "we" reared a family of those wee Bluetits this year. They got so tame you could sit at the window and watch them coming and going. Then one morning I got up and they were all gone. Lately I have noticed some of them back again, perhaps they will nest next year as well. That is true, birds prefer a feeder close to bushes or a hedge so they can eat in comfort.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 12:14:35 am »

Lovely shots John. As someone said earlier on our AstroChat forum, that last squirrel shot looks as though it's about to start a marathon.

On the subject of cats, I am getting a new one tomorrow. Unlike my previous black one who used to creep up silently in the dark & stop dead at my feet when out with my 11" SCT, this one is partly white so I will see him better in the dark!
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 08:15:16 am »

Thanks guys.

Tyler, I couldn't do without mine, I got so used to the 10x zoom on the Z2 bridge I had, that the first thing I got after I was given the camera was the 55-250, even before getting a bag to keep it all in.

That's excellent John, hope they come back again for you. I'm gonna need to put more food out... the Starlings have gobbled it all up again.

Andy, that doesn't paint a good picture.... ouch... Hope it's a little charmer for you and you do get to see the cat in the dark.
Report Spam   Logged

John

*** My Astro Blog ***
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 08:27:15 am »

Unlike my previous black one who used to creep up silently in the dark & stop dead at my feet when out with my 11" SCT, this one is partly white so I will see him better in the dark!
Self-powered foor warmer? I hope you didn't tread on him!

Perhaps astronomers need genetically modified cats that glow faintly in the dark - red, so as not to affect night vision Wink Might help protect the local wildlife as well.
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 01:48:01 pm »

I've taken possession of my new cat. The only white bit is under his chin - so all in all he is about as black as my previous cat!

Perhaps astronomers need genetically modified cats that glow faintly in the dark - red, so as not to affect night vision Wink Might help protect the local wildlife as well.

Last year, the owner of another of my astronomy forums came down to Oxford on a visit. As the Leonids were clouded out, we ended up discussing pets when out observing. This guy is mainly a visual observer and apparently sometimes sets up in his local cemetry, as it is pretty dark there. Unfortunately if he doesn't take his boisterous dog with him, the dog sulks. I therefore showed him this link for a glowing dog collar which, to my surprise, he ordered on the spot.

Just a pity they don't make them for cats!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Andy
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 02:02:49 pm »

Just a pity they don't make them for cats!
Would the cat know the collar was intended for dogs?

You'd probably need to order a large packet of Band-Aids as well, just in case the cat objected to having the collar fitted in the usual tooth & claw manner.
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 03:13:36 pm »

Would the cat know the collar was intended for dogs?

Good point!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Andy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum