Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 10:39:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Greetings from Paul

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings from Paul  (Read 2389 times)
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: July 10, 2008, 08:37:44 am »

Well, I'm Paul Evans, resident of Larne, Co Antrim though I'm originally from England having lived 18 years in London, 12 years in Surrey and quite a few other parts of England too. I've been quite a bit into Astronomy since the time of Project Apollo, more seriously since I came to live in Northern Ireland nearly 5 years ago. I'm a keen photographer having grown up with film - I've been mostly digital for 3 years though one regular job I do still uses film. I am a fan of Minolta cameras and currently use a Sony A700 DSLR - Sony took over Minolta. I'm a regular contributor to Spaceweather.com, the BBC, Sky at Night and Astronomy Now magazines and others.

See you around!

Paul.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

roswell11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 08:55:31 am »

Hi Paul, Declan. here. just teleported down for a quick look.... Roll Eyes i have an interest in most of the ologies i.e. astronomy, geology archaeology.....I have also been described as a Tree-hugger type fellow. I like a lively debate now and then.

declan
Report Spam   Logged
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 09:35:25 am »

Declan, very pleased to have you on board! I'm becoming a bit more of a tree-hugger myself these days as it becomes abundantly clear that the Oil Age won't go on indefinitely, though what the answer is I'm not so sure about - windmills don't quite do it for me, but there's a debate for another topic!

Paul.
Report Spam   Logged

roswell11

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 10:09:09 am »

Thanks Paul, When people ask me my interests...I usually say "looking up and looking down" i.e. looking at the night sky and watching my garden grow. I suppose as a novice in astronomy I may develop an interest in astrophotography, but I doubt it. technology defeats me. A swiss watch I understand, an integrated circuit is smoke and mirrors  Cry For me an exiting evening is

set up telescope
watch bats leave to hunt at dusk
swing Dob about the sky in a chaotic style 
say wow a lot
put telescope away
drink bottle of wine
go to bed

Declan
Report Spam   Logged
lunartic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 10:10:01 am »

Hi all

I'm Paul from Dublin, been an astronomy buff for 20 some odd years, had a variety of scopes over those two decades and still I want more.

I'm looking forward to chatting and contributing to the site and hope it's a great success.

A couple of questions for Paul, can we submit sketches to the photography forum?

And where is the Oakland Raiders avatar?  I know they are a terrible team but some of us like them. Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 10:22:25 am »

Hi Paul, you're very welcome here!

As for sketches, yes please - I admire the work of people who can draw - You'll see that Martin is very good at it when there's a comet in the skies - on which subject there may be some news coming soon (hint!).

As for the Oakland Raiders avatar - not my field of expertise I'm afraid  Wink

Paul.
Report Spam   Logged

fguihen

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 12:40:57 pm »

Hi Paul.

Nice site. good to have some famaliar names to discuss photography with. Havnt gotten in any astronomy this year due to the weather, and astrophotography with the DSLR is out for the timebeing as i live in dublin and am not licensed yet to be driving out into the country for some slightly less light polluted skies. Standard photography is helping me stay on top of my obsession with optical equiptment associated activities!.
Report Spam   Logged
Dave Lillis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 03:22:11 pm »

Hi Paul,
Congrats on the very well done site here, fair play !.
I look forward to seeing how it develops and evolves.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Carrying around the 20" Obsession is going to kill me, but what a way to go!
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 05:19:40 pm »

Hey guys, great to see you all onboard, look forward to some interesting times ahead!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum