Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 11:01:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Brief But Strong Updraught On A Nice CB - Oct 21st

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brief But Strong Updraught On A Nice CB - Oct 21st  (Read 255 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2008, 05:27:57 pm »

Just getting some images sorted now from earlier in the week. These were taken on Oct 21st, the day after the level 1 ESTOFEX forecast. RTE and ESTOFEX had forecast showers of hail and possibly thunder on high ground due to a cool unstable air mass. During the afternoon I seen this wonderful cb climb anvil-first over the Sperrin Mountains in the NW. Then the updraught towers with flanking line arrived behind. The updraught was very impressive, it looked rock soild and of high vertical extent with interesting structure on the back edge of the tower. I was wondering if this updraught was rotating for a short period?. It began to decay rapidly then the anvil collapsed producing mammatus. A long line of hail was falling from the base. It passed over me and died. It was a very nice sight. Thought I would share the images here.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 07:17:25 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 06:54:57 pm »

Cool. I love seeing those cu towers under (otherwise) clear skies, with the super blue sky. That last shot is way cool, nicely framed. Im suprised you guys have thunderstorms this late in the year (or I just have no idea about weather in ireland) It snowed in Western Nebraska 8" the other day, we are far away from our next thunderstorm
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 07:11:58 pm »

Tyler, thanks very much for the feedback on these. It's always great to have a crisp sky around the convection isn't it. The day before had a tornado risk but the mid level cloud was a pain in the neck so not many good photo opps presented themselves except for the mammatus images on here.

Ireland is a strange place for weather. The main thunderstorm season is during the Spring and Summer just like you have in Nebraska however the Autumn and Winter can produce t-storms too. We get many low pressure storms sweeping in from the Atlantic. Some of them have very sharp cold fronts, and occasionally a good ana cold front. These can produce lightning and are famous for dropping tornadoes over the UK during this period. The post frontal air mass behind these fronts normally produce showers with hail and thunder due to the unstable atmos. So in a nutshell, thunder/lightning can happen at any season in Ireland, but the most spectacular stuff tends to be during prime solar heating time in Summer.

We have an interesting set-up during the first half of next week. Unstable polar air is descending which should provide some interesting convective opps, especially between Mon and Wed. Convective showers of hail, possibly snow, and thunder are a possibilty (we get thundersnow here). What ever happens, the sky should be crisp around the cells for some cool (literally) imaging.

My goodness, you have had 8" of snow already!!. I haven't seen snow that good here for a couple of years. This year might be different though. Our weather has been really lively since the Summer.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 07:16:49 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum