Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 03:22:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Today's Tornado Watch

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Today's Tornado Watch  (Read 528 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: October 23, 2008, 11:56:25 pm »

I was out seeing what I could catch today after the ESTOFEX level 1 alert and Tornado watch issued by TORRO. This is the kind of weather I was doing photography in...

The cold front was brutal. There certainly was tornado potential today that's for sure. More images to sort out. The darkness, colour, and structure of the precip driven by gales on the image was exactly what it was like with the naked eye!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 03:24:01 am by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 09:46:34 am »

Very nice photo Martin!  Smiley That's rain or what?!
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 03:48:40 pm »

Thanks Roman. Yes it's rain driven past me from R to L by gale force winds associated with an active cold front. The front is breaking in the R and the low Sun is illuminating the precip curtains a lovely atmospheric colour. TORRO had issued a tornado watch for our area due to the wind shear with this cold front. We have had three level 1 forecasts here this week. Next week there will be more convection, this time on an unstable polar air mass. Snow is possible.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 12:16:02 pm »

Snow is possible.
I love the first snow!  Smiley I had first frosts (-2C) in recent days, but it can be no snow here until mid-November.

Oh, I remember the old times (between 1998 and 2002) when I had a real winter (with much snow and frosts) in early November (!).  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 05:19:17 pm »

Martin I think you've captured the mood of the occasion beautifully there, especially with the sky colour. Well done.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 07:26:28 pm »

Great capture Martin! Don't know about you but I found it pretty cold out today.

P.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 10:17:05 pm »

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes, I thought it was very cold today with that polar air edging closer. Very much so after sunset. Had to put up with passing sleet showers while observing. Even a mammatus display while I was comet hunting tonight. The bags looked very distinct despite the darkness. Here's a few more shots from that same session and the same time of the first image. This is the clearing cold front with 'tail end charlie' convection producing the heavy rain and lowering over the town.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum