Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 02:31:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Orionid Meteor Shower Maximum - Oct 21st

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Orionid Meteor Shower Maximum - Oct 21st  (Read 1141 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: October 05, 2008, 04:40:27 pm »

http://www.amsmeteors.org/showers.html

Regardless of moon phase, I will be watching this one. Anybody else?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Carl O Beirnes

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 07:19:46 pm »

I Will. This is my favourite time of year now till March lots off dark skies. The Orionid Meteor Shower I look forward to each year pity about the moon but I'll be happy if it's clear for the night.

Carl
Report Spam   Logged

Carl O'Beirnes,
Balbriggan Observatory (MPC#J09)
Co Dublin,
Ireland
http://www.webtreatz.com
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 04:20:54 pm »

Anybody else?
Of course I do, Martin!  Smiley ....if only the weather (you know)...

And what about Draconids? Tonight?! Today I'm here totally cloudy, and there is little chances for tonight clearances, but maybe I'll try tomorrow evening...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 04:11:24 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 05:12:49 pm »

I will be observing the Draconids Tonight Roman  Smiley

Let's hope for clear skies for the Orionids.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 04:23:10 pm »

I was outside on the last night (Oct.9/10) between 19 and 0.5 hours (GMT+3). Have spent more than one hour watching for Draconids, but much disappointed with them. Almost nothing. Only one faint (~4mag) meteor which was at the edge of my eye's FOV, and I'm not 100% sure it was a Draconid.

Looking forward for Orionids and Taurids...  Smiley BTW, what's the date of Orionids' maximum?
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 04:28:41 pm »

Oct 21st Roman, I'm assuming, but I could be wrong, that it's the morning of the 21st. So the night of 20/21st looks to be the main night. I don't know the time of maximum though. Now that it's the 10th we should be seeing some good activity!

If anyone gets any latest data on this shower then please post it on here. Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 03:31:25 am »

The main Orionid meteor shower maximum is expected early next week, on October 20-21, when the shower's radiant is near Orion's "Club" asterism, an area of sky usefully observable after about 23h UT. An International Meteor Organization (IMO) analysis some years ago suggested Zenithal Hourly Rates (ZHRs) should be around 25-30 at best this year, rising towards their next possibly cyclical rates-peak (previous highest ZHRs were circa 30), in 2008-2010 or so, following a 12-year periodicity if correct. However, in 2006 and 2007, abnormally strong Orionid returns occurred, with ZHRs of 50-70 on two or three consecutive dates across the predicted peak. A subsequent IMO analysis following the 2006 event indicated similarly enhanced rates may still happen this year, and could again persist for more than one night. In addition, a sub-peak, with ZHRs similar to the normal main maximum, has happened a few times in the past on October 17-18 (next Friday night/Saturday morning), albeit definitely reported only in 1993 and 1998 so far. Regrettably, the waning gibbous Moon, at last quarter on October 21, will be a severe problem right through the October 17-21 period, so seeing what the shower yields will not be an easy task. Be aware though that the IMO investigations have suggested NO abnormal activity is likely next year. Hopeful Orionid observers braving the moonlight should watch as much sky as comfortably possible, but facing away from the Moon (hiding the Moon behind a rooftop, wall, fence or trees can be additionally helpful). Much lower rates of Orionids are normally present from early October through into the first week of November. Orionid meteors are fast, often bright, and frequently trained.

For more information and an Orionid radiant chart, see the October activity webpage at: http://www.popastro.com/sections/meteor/meteor-oct2008.htm .

Good luck, and clear skies!

Alastair McBeath,
Meteor Director, Society for Popular Astronomy.
E-mail: (messages under 150 kB in size only, please)
Report Spam   Logged

jjb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 10:23:46 pm »

After seeing the forecast for this morning i set the alarm for 05-00 and was surprised to find the sky clear so got the camera and tripod and headed out
to try and image some orionids,during my short session which ended at 05-45 due to cloud i observed 3 meteors this is my first time i have observed this shower
and i am glad i made the effort below are a couple of images i took.

jonathan.
Report Spam   Logged
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 10:31:18 pm »

That first shot is excellent Jonathan - I particularly like the way you've caught the hind legs of Canis Major there.

Paul.
Report Spam   Logged

jjb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 10:41:59 pm »

Thanks Paul i put no.2 in to give an idea of the conditions i took 16 images hoping to catch at least one meteor but no luck !
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 02:55:43 pm »

i observed 3 meteors this is my first time i have observed this shower
Congrats with your first Orionids! I can also say these were my first, because in previous years I always had bad weather and no more than 2 of them. But Oct.21 morning was really great, as nice as in August (if don't mention +1deg.C, it was cold enough!)

I observed Orionids for more than 1.5 hours, between 4 and 6 h (2-4 h UT). Total 19 meteors, fixed: 12, among them at least 9 or 10 Orionids. 2 bright ones, 1 was very bright (-2...-3.5m), compared to Sirius.
Rough ZHR estimate 15...25.

Anybody else?
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 03:18:16 pm »

Nice work Jonathan!. I really like the 2nd image with the sweeping cloud obsucring Orion leaving the three belt stars above. Very atmospheric!

Glad to read about your success Roman. Sounds like you seen a few beauties, especially that one similar to Sirius.

Seen some good activity last night. See thread.
Report Spam   Logged

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 03:33:23 pm »

Good shots Jonathan. Good spots on the meteros too. I wasn't aware of this shower last year, and whilst I only saw what I think is the one, it was a belter.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 06:07:18 pm »

I had another Orionid watch yesterday. I thought that the activity got low after maximum, but it was quite nice on Oct.23 morning.

Observed for more than 1.5 hours between 3 and 5 h (GMT+3). Total 14 meteors, fixed: 11, among them at least 8 Orionids.
Rough ZHR estimate 15...20 (total)

Also some activity from Taurids, and... 2 strange meteors heading from unknown radiant in NE (UMa, or close to UMa Draco, or CVn). I can't guess what was that.

Now Taurids will be the main target until mid-November. BTW, first frosts in Poltava now, -2C today at 6AM, in this reason it was impossible to me to observe meteors for more than 2 hours.

Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum