Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 02:20:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

1000 days anniversary of my weather diary

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1000 days anniversary of my weather diary  (Read 693 times)
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« on: October 04, 2008, 04:06:02 pm »

Quite an interesting fact:
today, Oct.04, my weather diary is 1000 days old (since Jan.2006). For this reason I want to show you some results of my weather observations.

During this year I was moving my diary from paper into MS Excel, so all the diagrams below were created in Excel.
Just only some examples...

this autumn temperatures graph
(green line means average daily; blue - daily minimum; red - daily maximum)

this autumn precipitation graph (mm)

types of precipitation (winter 2007-8)

thickness of snow coverage in cm (Jan-Mar 2008)

(don't wonder about 100cm - few years ago it was 60cm of snow on the ground, so 100cm is not unreal)
How poor with the snow was the last winter!  Sad

2007 climatodiagram (temperature/precip. monthly averages)

Average monthly cloudiness (2006-8)

Average daily temperatures comparison (2006-8)

I plan to upload most of this on my site in the nearest future, but it needs a lot of work...
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 09:32:43 pm »

Roman, I some how missed this thread until now. That's a very impressive presentation!. I never knew you kept weather records for so long. Excellent work!. Data like that will come in handy to researchers in the future. Keep up the great work. What about t-storms, did you get much of those during that period?
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 05:33:03 am »

Thats dedication right there. I tried to do that, and it lasted about 2 days .lol

Good Work Roman.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 07:11:18 pm »

Thanks Martin and Tyler  Smiley

What about t-storms, did you get much of those during that period?
T-storms are usual during Jun-Aug and probable during Apr-May & Sep. However there can be some exceptions. How many? Let me place here some statistics: (the number of days, not single t-storms!)
2006: 18
2007: 27
2008: 17 (Mar-1, Apr-1, May-5, Jun-3, Jul-4, Aug-2, Sep-0, Oct-1)
  The last t-storm of Oct.06 was a surprise for me because it was already mid-autumn (t-storms less probable) and no t-storms for 40 days before that.

I tried to do that, and it lasted about 2 days .lol
Tyler, I had many unsucessfull attempts before 2006.......with a few days, week, even month but no more  Wink But then I decided to do minimum observations but constantly, and it is the most important and hard part - to have no single day of unrecorded weather. It worth to try doing it - it is hard to start but it brings awesome results in a few years.

I do that in the simple way: just a few temperature measurments (usually 8AM, 4PM, min, max), av. daily cloudiness estimate, type & amount of precipitation - that's all. Maybe I'll improve my observations soon with adding there RH, pressure and more precise temperature.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 07:13:59 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum