Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 07:31:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Draconid Moondogs

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Draconid Moondogs  (Read 494 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2008, 11:30:55 pm »

I was out this evening watching for Draconid meteors when I glanced behind me at the waxing gibbous Moon and spotted these wonderful moondogs. The western dog was very intense and sported bright colours with the naked eye and a 'tail' pointing to the W. The dogs were a great sight with a fainter pillar and partial halo all at the same time. The brightest dog was located very close to Jupiter which was the icing on the cake. A nice surprise on a very cold misty night. Incidently, I have seen no Draconids yet!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 11:36:24 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 12:00:22 am »

Lovely images Martin, thanks for the text but unfortunately nothing like that was visible from here.
Earlier I did see the ISS going over but it was very low, no chance of getting an image because of
the street lights. I think that's the last evening pass for a while. Well done on the dogs!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 02:39:22 am »

Thanks John. I thought I would send the text anyway even though it was probably a local event. I reckon these are the best moondogs I have seen to date. It made that three hours standing in the cold more than worth it. I seen the ISS earlier, probably the faintest I have ever seen it. It was in the same bino field as Jupiter. I didn't take any images of it.

The previous 'best' moonbows I seen where these, from Oct last year, but I took them from the back door. I should have went out somewhere to make the most of it. I think the Oct-Dec period is a great time for lunar atmospherics.

Keep an eye out for moonbows over the next few nights.

Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 05:24:21 am »

very cool martin! im lucky to see a sundog, let alone a moondog.

I just got done observing, and have finally concluded my scope is worthless...
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 09:59:10 pm »

Thanks Tyler. Lunar atmospherics are a wonderful treat to catch. I hope you see some of these in the near future.

What happened your scope?
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 09:25:06 pm »

What a bright moondog, Martin! Great shots  Smiley I have never seen that kind of dogs  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum