Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 09:19:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Thunderstorm Outlook - Wed Oct 1st

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thunderstorm Outlook - Wed Oct 1st  (Read 461 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2008, 10:09:21 am »

Storm Forecast
Valid: Wed 01 Oct 2008 06:00 to Thu 02 Oct 2008 06:00 UTC
Issued: Wed 01 Oct 2008 05:39
Forecaster: PUCIK
SYNOPSIS

Dominant feature of the day will be a large surface low affecting most of the northern and central parts of Europe, only slowly moving to the east. By the end of forecast period, it will have deepened sligtly with center over the Baltic sea. Its strong pressure gradient will likely induce widespread wind gusts, especially across the southern parts of the Northern Sea, Great Britain, BENELUX and Germany. A cold front, associated with the low will stretch from the northern France to Poland and continue east/southeastwards. At midlevels, a deep trough has settled over the region of the surface low. It is dominated by a cold airmass, yielding high mid-level gradients due to the warming effects of the sea. Strong jet-stream will spread on its southern flank to the east, with 40 m/s at 500hPa level. Trough is forecast to deepen, especially over the the E Atlantic / British Isles and move to the SE . Another shallow trough will slowly fill over the Algeria/Tunisia region.

DISCUSSION

...Northern sea, coasts of Denmark, S Norway, Netherlands...

Slightly unstable conditions are forecast over the Northern sea, with MLCAPEs locally higher than 500 J/kg. Moreover, profiles should remain uncapped with significant low level buoyancy and lapse rates. Moist environment over the sea will lead to the low LCLs of developing storms. Therefore, threat of waterspouts will be present and a Lvl 1 is warranted. Highest risk is anticipated over the western coast of Denmark, where GFS simulates strong convergence signals, as well as strong mid-level forcing, supporting the storm development.

...N Germany, N Poland...

Models count only with very little instability available for the storms, with MLCAPEs around 200 J/kg. However, very strong mid-level forcing is expected, which could help in the storm development in spite of the meager instability. Strong low level wind field is forecast across the region, especially by the noon with 20 m/s of shear in 0-3 km layer and 15 m/s of shear in the lowest km. 850hPa windspeeds should be approximately 20 m/s. 00Z soundings support above mentioned predictions, as slightly unstable profiles are observed over the region as well as strong LLS. Current thinking is that either a strongly forced convective line or a series of separate cells will move over the region, with threat of isolated severe gusts, exceeding 25 m/s. Also thanks to the favourable LLS, moist boundary layer and considerable SREH present 0-1 km ( values exceeding 200 J/kg), one or two tornadoes are possible. The highest threat will exist around 09-12Z, across N Germany when strongest forcing and wind fields will be available.

...SE Ionian Sea, W Greece coast...

Both surface and mid-level trough will support the TSTM initiation. Moderate instability is predicted across the region with MLCAPEs locally above 1000 J/kg. Strong mid level flow will be induced by the trough, resulting in approximately 15 -20 m/s of DLS and 10 - 15 m/s of shear in 0-3 km layer, especially over the SW coast of Greece. Also, slight backing of the surface flow ahead of the trough will lead to the enhanced SREH. Environment seems to be supportive of well organised storms, mostly multicells, but supercell is not ruled out either. Marginally large hail is possible in stronger storms. Due to the significant LL Cape release, especially near the coast and low LCLs, few waterspout / tornado reports are expected. Also, thanks to the strong moisture convergence and widespread TSTM initiation, flash flooding threat will exist.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 10:17:23 am »

Looks like I might get a bit of thunder ... Although, I have clear blue skies at the moment
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 11:18:55 am »

I hope you get something John. I'm keeping an eye out here with the camera close to hand. Dying with the cold at the min but if I see anything interesting I will be heading outside!

The risk of thunder is low today due to a lack of instability but a few rumbles can't be ruled out. The main threat is gusts of wind and heavy showers of rain or hail. It's slightly unstable polar air over us so if things come together properly we could get some nice structures around. There's enough wind shear to generate a weak tornado to.
Report Spam   Logged

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 11:32:44 am »

Thanks for the info Martin. If anything happens I'll certainly grab the camera, although hopefully I'll get more than my other attempt... Some shots of fast moving clouds...
Report Spam   Logged

John

*** My Astro Blog ***
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 04:15:20 pm »

Just back in John, nearly put myself in a relapse!. No storms here but plenty of convection, loads of cbs, mammatus, strong winds, severe rain and even hail over the hills. Have a few images which I will post later. Nothing spectacular though. Thurs looks to be a better day for action. Much more instability!
Report Spam   Logged

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 04:21:14 pm »

Looking forward to those images Martin. Bizarrely I almost feel disappointed that it's been mostly sunny all day, but then I'm stuck at a puter working... The promise is there for some possibilities tonight though with the scope...
Report Spam   Logged

John

*** My Astro Blog ***

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum