Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 02:22:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Must See Video Of Mt Edna Eruption & Twister

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Must See Video Of Mt Edna Eruption & Twister  (Read 378 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2008, 04:52:57 pm »

Keep watch after about 1 min 15 sec's into the clip!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 04:56:00 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 05:53:05 pm »

I don't think that's really a tornado - I think the rising column of hot air from the volcano has captured a spiral of spindrift. I've seen mini spindrift spirals all over the place even when the sky's been completely clear & no convection at all, it's just an inevitable consequence of the turbulence created when a wind blows over rough surfaces.

This one is much bigger than those I've seen but I do think it's just because it's been held together by the strong volcanic thermal.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 09:42:18 pm »

mmm.... definitely a serious vortex going on there, not the conventional type of tornado but definitely a variation on one. Instead of being connected to a cloud base it's formed from the billowing ash plumes. Some kind of vorticity was generated by that explosive event. Volcanic eruptions like that often generate electical storms, there's serious 'convection' going on in that. All dust devils don't need to be attached to a cloud base, including some waterspouts, they are still classified as vortex or whirlwind phenomena though. I'm no expert on Volcanoes, just my two cents.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum