Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 01:30:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Fireball 21:45 BST 21/08/2011

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fireball 21:45 BST 21/08/2011  (Read 1407 times)
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« on: August 22, 2011, 10:02:58 pm »

Martin your thoughts / opinions and expertise would be welcomed, any ideas what this was if it was a Fireball or Comet what ever it was I have never seen a sight like it so bright, large and appeared low in the sky.

Whilst setting the camera for imaging the ISS I witnessed an extremely bright Fireball at around 21:45 BST 21/08/2011, direction of travel from the South to NW, It appeared to increase brightness and dimmed before my sight was restricted by the woods. Apart from an amazing sight I thought this was very low in the sky and looked very big. I have attached image I took of the ISS and if I was imaging at the time of the crossing it would have been captured.

Did anyone else see this ?

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 03:41:20 pm »

Didn't see anything her,Anton. We did hear a 'swish' and a very bright light filled the bedroom at about 3.00am a few nights ago I think the 17th-not sure but that was almost certainly a Perseids meteorite. Nice shot of the ISS btw.
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 10:24:29 pm »

Great shot off the ISS and your car, you're getting good at this. The object you saw was most likely a sporadic meteor (fireball), a very lucky sight. It was coming from the wrong direction for a Perseid.
We're here in Southern California now, 100 degrees F, smoggy, just like I remember it. Start looking for houses tomorrow. I already miss walking outside and seeing the Milky Way, lol.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 09:38:25 am »

Great space station shot Anton! 

Definitely sounds like it was a fireball to me, could be an earthgrazer.  What time did it take to cross your sky?  I didn't see anything here, has there been anything on local news I wonder...
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 01:36:51 pm »

Hey Anton, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I love this image of the ISS and your car in the same frame, you must have had a great wide angle lens for that - impressive!. What you witnessed sounded like a sporadic fireball, fireballs can be extremely bright and also very low in the sky at times so you can get them pretty much anywhere in the celestal dome so well done on seeing it, a truly bright fireball is a thrilling and unforgettable sight, you will be hooked from now on and will be trying to catch one on camera  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum