Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 11:23:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lenticular Spaceship Invasion

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lenticular Spaceship Invasion  (Read 520 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2008, 07:14:42 pm »

It was a remarkable day here with clear blue skies and warm Sun. At 18.45 BST I glanced out my window towards the west and seen a great display of Lenticular wave form clouds in the classic 'stacked' spaceship fashion which makes them so distinct. I walked to the top of a hill and took these images. Very nice ridge structure. The display looked good low in the sky with the Sun close by to the left. No doubt caused by air currents rising over the Sperrin Mountains. This was the best example I have ever seen from here.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 07:17:21 pm »

Yes! Great shots Martin, Lentis at their best.

P.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 08:25:39 pm »

I see that clouds were very distant from you, Martin. Great shots! Smiley

Can someone tell me, do the lenticular clouds always need some mountainous relief or it isn't necessary? Huh Because I live in a completely plain territory and I have never seen those clouds.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 11:02:45 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm really not a big fan of lentis because I haven't see many in the way of spectacular formations from N. Ireland until I seen this one. The recent capture by Paul is another good display to. I will be keeping my eye out for more. They are quite common here because I live at the sides of the Sperrin Mountains and Slieve Gallion so lenticulars are not uncommon. Excellent examples are much more rare.

I think you really need hills and moutnains nearby Roman top get them. Check out this link which shows very impressive images...

http://www.crystalinks.com/lenticular.html

Some of the images on there are mistakes. The long green image is a shelf cloud on a thunderstorm. Looks very similar to some of Mike Hollingshead's images.

And wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_cloud
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 11:04:54 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 08:43:13 am »

(...) Check out this link which shows very impressive images...

http://www.crystalinks.com/lenticular.html
Oh my godness!  Shocked I think everyone needs to watch this link. That first image is unbelieveable, it is hard to imagine a better one. http://www.crystalinks.com/lenticularlogo.jpg
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 12:06:38 pm »

I think you really need hills and moutnains nearby
Yes - or at least something to make the air rise over an obstruction. The air needs to be stable and close to saturation at some point in the middle atmosphere too. Any instability will ruin the laminar flow needed to get the lenticular shapes.

Sometimes you get a whole chain of lenticular clouds arising from a single hill, can be tens of kilometres long and the clouds can reach up to several kilometres in height even when the obstacle is quite small.

When the air is saturated close to ground level, you get can a lenticular cloud sitting right on top of the obstruction, like a tablecloth draped over the hill, and a chain of lennies stretching away downwind.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum