Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 08:02:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Perseids Meteor Shower

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Perseids Meteor Shower  (Read 1423 times)
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2011, 09:34:22 am »

Thought I would start this one off...  Activity should be picking up already, unfortunately maximum will be hampered by the full moon, but i've done many perseid sessions before in bright moonlight, and whilst it quells the fainter meteors, the rest are visible, so always worth going out to view if the sky is clear.  Hopefully we will get some nice pickies! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 04:19:32 pm »

LOL I've just finished moaning on another thread about the timing of this month's full Moon/peak of the Perseids!  Grin However at least at this time of the year the Moon has a significant southerly declination when full and so does not rise very high for us 'northerners'. I've already seen a few Perseids from my city location - although I had not gone out with the specific intention of observing them. Best one was this morning (the small hours are always best for making observations as the meteors enter the Earth's atmosphere more 'head on') whilst I was admiring the return of the Pleiades.

Thanks for the reminder Mark & let's hope that the cloud gods give us a few clear nights to compensate for the Full Moon!

Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 06:13:36 pm »

Well i've not seen a single perseid as of yet  Undecided  Sunday night looks like it may be clear so will take a look then...
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 06:37:52 pm »

Same here Mark - if it's of any consolation. However I did see a couple of bright meteors during my last session out on Tuesday morning. The sky was beautifully clear with the Moon well out of the way & the brightest one streaked towards the Pleiades. I had set up my 135mm camera lens to image the area around the Double Cluster/Soul & Heart nebulae area - with the vain hope that I may catch a Perseid streaking through the field. Alas, it was not to be. I've still to process my result but hope that others here had more success with the actual meteor shower.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 06:40:37 pm by Big Dipper » Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 05:21:17 pm »

Well looks like this evening may clear up (still!), so will go for a look early doors before the moon interferes too much.  Typical dilemma here - I want to stay up late and look for Perseids, however first thing monday morning looks like it may well be clear for some solar observing for me; and would need to get up early for the solar rather than having a recovery lie in...   Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 05:26:45 pm »

Go for it Mark do both  Grin No luck here last night.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum