Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 06:08:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Telephoto Sunspots - Aug 3rd

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Telephoto Sunspots - Aug 3rd  (Read 1346 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2011, 02:00:34 pm »

Snapped this today using the 400mm lens with baader astro solar filter. On view from L to R are giant sunspots 1263, 1261 and 1260, I could see the first two easily with the protected naked eye. 1216 has produced numerous flares and a CME which is heading towards Earth which will cause aurora displays on the nights ahead. 1263 is massive with X-class flare potential so the sun is a very busy and exciting place at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 04:34:54 pm »

That's a great shot Martin. The 400mm sure does a nice job, I've had little luck from here on trying to image the spots with my 250mm. The more I look at your photo the more detail I can see around the edges. Beautiful!!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 04:48:17 pm »

Thanks very much Richard, there's just been another major M-class flare and CME heading to Earth, we now have multiple rounds of aurora potential!
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 09:30:27 am »

Nice image Martin!   You've recorded these spots well.  I've been frustrated with them as other than my one image from a few days ago that's all i've managed to see of them.   The weather has just been either too cloudy or too hazy. 

There is certainly aurora potential from them from all these flares and CMEs we've been having, I just hope the sun manages to keep up the activity of late...
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 04:30:08 pm »

You've caught some superb detail in that Martin. Do you do much solar photography, as I don't recall having seen many (if any) in the past? Thanks also for the aurora alert update in your other thread. It would be great to see a light show from my city location/latitude over the next few nights.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 05:47:02 pm »

The 400mm is serving you well,Martin. I see the Jet Stream is  sitting right over the Uk dragging'stuff' in off the Atlantic but  I hope you get  a break and catch an aurora.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum