Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 02:16:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

In Preparation For Night Time Observing

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In Preparation For Night Time Observing  (Read 1512 times)
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« on: July 23, 2011, 11:13:46 am »

Looking forward to capturing and observing some of our great sights in the night sky, not wishing the light evenings away but it won’t be long before the sky is suitable for observing our wonderful stars, planets and nebulae at a reasonable time and not silly O’clock. In preparation I have desiged and constructed and pier for the Sky Watcher 150P for a more  rigid mount. All the fixings used are Grade 2 stainless steel so wont rust.

To the sky and beyond !!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:14:47 pm by Anton » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 11:46:20 am »

That's pretty cool Anton!  A nice rigid mount is the way to go and really enhances viewing.  Hopefully we'll get some clear skies sooner rather than later...
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 05:29:15 pm »

That is quite the setup Anton. I don't think the breeze will be bothering you at all. Very smart with the nut/bolt leveling system. The sonotube concrete pier idea is exactly what I did with my first homemade 8" equatorial when I was about 16. 45 years later, I think the present homeowners still use the pier to hold a large flower pot, lol. I can't tell from the 2 photos, is there a concrete pad to stand on? It does wonders to keep your feet out of the damp grass, though it can be rough if you drop an eyepiece!! Thanks for sharing and good luck when the skies clesr.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 05:32:19 pm by Richard Glenn » Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 12:08:36 am »

Thats a sweet looking set-up, looks well up to the job-best of luck with it  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 09:27:29 am »

is there a concrete pad to stand on? It does wonders to keep your feet out of the damp grass, though it can be rough if you drop an eyepiece!!
Yeah, that's the issue. Also you don't want the footway to be transmitting vibrations to the pier. IMO a wooden decking with a hole in the middle to clear the pier is better than concrete though you do need to be careful to avoid having vermin use the "shelter" so provided.
Report Spam   Logged
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 10:57:21 am »

Thanks all, the next stage is to build a small shed with a roll off roof so will go with a wooden floor with a centre cut out for the pier avoiding any contact with the pier base. Agree regarding the vermin so will need to consider how to get a perfect seal around the pier but yet still avoiding any vibration.

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 04:15:39 pm »

Although I doubt if the weight of one or two people walking on a structural concrete slab is going to transmit through to the concrete pier causing vibration, a structural concrete slab would be a much better support for a shed and roll-off roof. Leave a 1/2" gap between the slab and pier, place foam backer rod and a good construction caulking sealent and you're ready to go.
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 05:26:33 pm »

Although I doubt if the weight of one or two people walking on a structural concrete slab is going to transmit through to the concrete pier causing vibration
You'd be surprised ... don't forget a scope can be sensitive to disturbances of less than half an arc second.

a structural concrete slab would be a much better support for a shed and roll-off roof.
There are other issues here. Frost heave is more of an issue with a large area of slab. Best foundations for a shed are trench founds running under the walls. A wooden floor supported by the walls is good but a free standing wooden floor is better. IMO when the floor is kept reasonably dry covering it with an old carpet is a good way of creating a dust & vermin proof seal with the pillar - the carpet will also help protect your eyepieces from damage when dropped.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum