Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 09:40:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Swifts in Flight

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Swifts in Flight  (Read 1168 times)
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2011, 01:22:08 pm »

I’ve been watching these Swifts since they were chicks huddled in their cosy nest. Only a few weeks ago one of the chicks had fallen from the nest, fortunately he fell on to a soft bedding of horse shavings. My daughter found the chick and gently placed him back in the nest.  They posed for the camera before taking flight around the yard. It won’t be long before they start their long journey to Africa.

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 04:22:43 pm »

Great shots of the little ones Anton.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 10:43:55 am »

That's great having a nest on your property,Anton -I thought swifts and swallows had 5 or 6 chicks.I remember when we lived up north and had a backyard with a loo at the end (oh those were the days lol) every year a bunch of swallows nested in the there and I used to wonder at how they flew threw the small gaps on the top of the door - sort of triangles but I also remember the open yellow mouths of the chicks Lol. Next year maybe you can set up a webcam, they do return each year I believe.

You did very well to get that one in flight - I mean they really move.I wonder when they'll fledge and fly to Africa
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 07:27:37 pm »

Great images Anton!  I always like when the swifts first arrive as it means summer isn't too far away, conversely, when they're heading away means summers not far off doing the same Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum