Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 09:44:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A Very English Cottage

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Very English Cottage  (Read 452 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2011, 07:24:21 pm »

My trip down south to find a storm proved fruitless but all was not lost. I took a short cut along a B road to get to an A road and came across a village called Wherwell near Andover. This cottage is 17/18th. century and a Grade 11 Listed building. The lady who lives there is a professional artist- she was in the garden and we got chatting,she said that she'd kept her eye on this cottage for when it came on the market, if it ever did and it did so she  and her husband bought it. It was a dull overcast day though,I'd like to go back when it's sunny ands take photos of the other like cottages there.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 08:04:57 pm »

What lovely pictures and what a lovely place to live!
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 10:30:39 pm »

A beautiful British dwelling John and image 3 is chocolate box material, the photo opp makes up for lack of storms.
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 03:13:27 am »

Just beautiful John. From someone in the States, that's how I picture an English country cottage! BTW, what is proper, English or British? I think I know the answer but maybe you can tell me yours, I don't want to step on any toes.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 10:26:34 am »

Many thanks all. Definitely idyllic-I don't think they get much traffic either,you'd have to be wanting to go to that village to use that road because it was a tortuous route ,I'd have been better listening to the sat nav. that wanted to take me east first then south on the M27 and M3(I think M3). but then I wouldn't have seen this.

Richard- most of us can't afford cottages like this, it's  probably around the $1million mark (£700,000) if not more.

Not treading on toes Lol.  What we have here are English ,Welsh and Scottish cottages and Scottish cottages are like the Welsh ,they have a  slate roof and are built of stone. The English mainly wood and with thatched roofs. The slate quarries are in Wales so I guess that's why they use slate and not thatch as we do in England.

People here get mixed up between Britain and the UK.  GB- British..   Great Britain (but not so 'Great' these days lol) is England,  Wales and Scotland . The United Kingdom (UK) is these three  plus Northern Ireland so you couldn't say that this cottage is British because it's different to those in the other two countries that make up Britain so you have to differentiate between them. We have English lamb, Welsh lamb and Sottish lamb (for dinner Ugh. we must go veggie I think- we say this each time we pass a field of lambs.) If you went to a butcher and asked for British lamb he'd ask which one - it would,in realty be English or Welsh or he/she would  just give you either  of these and just say where it's from.Infact people don't ask for British lamb at a butcher thy'd ask for English or Welsh unless they lived in Scotland,I guess they'd just ask for lamb as would the Welsh people.hey have massive sheep farms. In a supermarket(Walmart) then the lamb may well be just labelled 'British'. They tell you as little as possible in supermarkets.

Here are English cottages
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sugexp=gsihc&xhr=t&q=welsh+cottages&cp=10&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1417&bih=934&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=english+cottages&oq=english+cottages&aq=f&aqi=g6g-m4&aql=undefined&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=47267l48416l0l7l7l0l0l0l0l177l983l1.6l7&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=1fb7189faab143f3&biw=1417&bih=934

...then we  have Welsh cottages http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sugexp=gsihc&xhr=t&q=welsh+cottages&cp=10&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1417&bih=934&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=

Scottish

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sugexp=gsihc&xhr=t&q=scottish+cottages&cp=12&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1417&bih=934&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Hope you found all that enlightening , I seldom give a less than adequate answer.  Grin

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:28:39 am by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 04:23:36 pm »

Thank you very much for the civics lesson John, took me back to world history in high school. Whether they be English, Welsh. or Scottish, they are certainly beautiful structures wherever they are. As usual, structures are built according to the weather and resourses available in the area. I know here in the States, when the news talks about issues across the Pond, they use everything, England, English, Brirtain, Great Britain, British, British Isles,  it gets a little confusing sometimes from our point of view. And then there is the whole Northern Ireland thing that I'll really have to read up on one of these days, very interesting but yet very tragic. Thanks again for taking the time to get me that information!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum