Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 08:25:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Moon-Pleiades Occultation - Fri/Sat

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Moon-Pleiades Occultation - Fri/Sat  (Read 1258 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: September 16, 2008, 11:01:32 pm »

http://lunar-occultations.com/iota/pleiades08/pleiades.htm

One to observe and image. The waning Moon will occult the Pleiades (M45) star cluster on Fri/Sat (19/20th). From the UK the event begins around 02.30 BST. The event is visible from Europe and America. Does anyone have more detailed times/charts of this to share?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 08:07:42 am »

Serious observers of occultations cannot do better than to obtain a copy of "The Handbook of the British Astronomical Association" (which is provided FREE to members). It allows accurate predictions to be derived for any location in the British Isles, South Eastern Australia or New Zealand.

Love the diagram, I sometimes wish someone would apply a ND5 filter to the real Moon which has a tendency to wash out bright stars, let alone the faint reflection nebulae embedded in the cluster!
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 03:50:10 pm »

That one will not be as great for me, because it will be going on during the sunrise.
All that I expect to observe is:
19 Tau occultation (DL) at 04:57:14 EEST (in Poltava)
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 04:12:44 pm »

I 'pinched' that chart from a website but I don't know who designed it. Attractive looking but not realistic.  John made this one last night from starrynight pro and sent it over to me for the forum. Those in America will have an excellent event.

Thanks John.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 05:27:32 pm »

No Problem Martin, any time! Grin
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 08:14:19 pm »

For me at least this will be mainly a viewing event, the moon will be far too bright to get some decent images with out the moon brighting it out. I'm sure spaceweather will have that on thier front page day off. looking forward to it.

Does anyone know if there will be a saturn/moon occultation anytime in the next few years? I'd love to see this..

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0703/saturnOccultation_Lawrence720.jpg
Report Spam   Logged

Carl O Beirnes

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 10:13:34 pm »

I must get myself a 400d for imaging this sort of thing
Report Spam   Logged

Carl O'Beirnes,
Balbriggan Observatory (MPC#J09)
Co Dublin,
Ireland
http://www.webtreatz.com
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 11:47:48 pm »

Does anyone know if there will be a saturn/moon occultation anytime in the next few years? I'd love to see this..

I can only offer this view of the last one - suffers from the youtube compression but it is what I saw!

Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 01:13:03 am »

Tyler, here is one of my single frames from the same event Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 08:24:26 am »

This one wasn't quite an occultation - just a near miss....

And the same evening I took this longer exposure - the tiny dot next to Saturn is Titan!

P.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 02:52:03 pm »

Very nice images Paul and John. I recall the last Saturn-Moon occultation very well. Tyler, if you have never seen one of these events before then you are in for a treat!.

I don't think there's a similar occultation from the US this year but I'm sure there will be others in the future. Perhaps someone on here with desktop software could find out?.

There's a nice Moon-Venus occultation on Dec 1st this year from Europe and the east coast of the USA.

Here's an image of the Saturn-Moon close conjunction from March last year. I just held my camera up to the eyepiece of an 8.5" reflector so the image is very basic. I must hunt out the occultation image.

Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »

Paul, that's very impressive to see Saturn, Titan and Moon together, even overexposed. Well done!  Smiley

Tyler, I don't have an appropriate software to calculate occultations for a next few years, but I do that for the next month or two (for Poltava, of course). It seems that no occultations of planets will happen this year.

Here's an image of the Saturn-Moon close conjunction from March last year. I just held my camera up to the eyepiece of an 8.5" reflector so the image is very basic. I must hunt out the occultation image.
Martin, I like very much that image of Moon&Saturn, it looks very similar to what I saw in my telescope.  Smiley
There's a nice Moon-Venus occultation on Dec 1st this year from Europe and the east coast of the USA.
I'll have no occultation - the Moon will set at my place at the time when it will be only 5' apart from Venus. But the evening of Dec.01 must be a special one! Waxing crescent Moon (13%), Venus (-4.1m) and Jupiter (-1.9m) will be together within a 2-degree area in Sagittarius. Great opportunity to take a photo!  Smiley Smiley Smiley (if only the weather will be fine, I hope it will)
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 06:21:03 pm »

Your'e absolutely correct Roman, that would make a great photo opp before Christmas!.

Anybody planning on observing tonight's occultation?. Forecast for here doesn't look good with cloud and drizzle forecast, at best I can hope for a gap in the clouds. Here's an image I found from 2006 of another Moon-M45 conjunction as the Moon rose above a chimney.

Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 07:19:44 pm »

P.S. to my message (« Reply #11 on: 19-09-2008 at 20:04:00 »)

According to the forecast, there are almost no chances for me to see something. Today in Poltava it was 100% cloudy (St,Nc) with drizzle all day long, and it is a 6th day in a row of the such weather. Well, it's autumn, what can I say more?  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 11:54:06 am »

There was no chance here either - thick blanket of cloud that showed no signs of going anywhere, so I went to bed at a sensible time.

Things are looking up however for tonight and a few nights next week!

P.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum