Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 01:42:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

AR11236 - Light Bridge, Dark Filament

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AR11236 - Light Bridge, Dark Filament  (Read 535 times)
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2011, 06:45:21 pm »

There seems to be some discussion as to exactly what the 'Light Bridges' are that divide large sunspots such as the one that dominates AR11236 http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=19&month=06&year=2011 However, from my perspective, looking at this picture, in this instance, it is quite clear that a 'Light Bridge' is just a filament that sits over the top of a sunspot. It appears light against the black of the sunspot core, however either side it can be seen to extend as a dark filament hovvering above the brighter solar disk.

AR11236 Light Bridge, Dark Filament by Mark Townley, on Flickr

Sadly today was dominated by cloud and only intermittent gaps, as such this is the only capture of note that I managed. Visually the sun was very impressive with plenty of prominences all around the limb. The filaments showed quite a bit of subtle change as the day went on.

Hopefully the 'British Summer' will improve from the cloud and rain of late and I will be able to get somemore views in soon!

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 10:35:23 pm »

Beautiful image and interesting theory Mark, keep up the great solar work, these should be on the BBC Sky & Night  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 11:32:53 pm »

Fantastic Mark you are the master of solar imaging great detail captured.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:11:25 am »

Thanks guys!  I do send them into the S@N flickr group, so fingers crossed i'll get another on at some point Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum