Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 09:30:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Poppy Fields

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Poppy Fields  (Read 942 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2011, 11:56:38 pm »

Took myself off to Stourport to get these  at the start of the week but there was a breeze and the other thing was that sunrise was at 4.45 ,I got there at 8.00am , it took an hour and as you see  I had issues with it. I wanted to return but at a much earlier hour but since then it's been nothing but rain and wind so it will have to wait until next year.There are two fields featured here. The second to last shot of the foxglove was taken with the 100-400 - you can't walk through the poppies or they get damaged but also there are ground nesting birds  in amongst them.  The last photo was s s I left with the 100-400 still on the camera,having just taken the foxglove I took a  quick shot just pointing the lens at the field.

Any views on the fisheye ?  Not to everyone's liking I know.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:59:55 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 01:32:05 am »

Beautiful flowers John. I've never been one for fish eye views, just personal taste I guess. I think they have both annual and perennial poppies, are these fields the same color each year, or do they rotate the stock?
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 10:42:59 am »

Great shots John!!!  Stourport is only a couple of miles away from me, however work and everything else has meant i've not got to see them this year, so, nice to see them in your pics instead! 

I like the fisheye myself - prefer shot 1 to 2 personally.  I think they're great things for landscapes, cloudscapes, skyscapes etc.  Like i've said before, i'm going to get one before I go to Iceland this october (aurora calling!!!).
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 07:16:18 pm »

Only the other day I was thinking no one has posted any images of poppy fields, lovely shots they do look a grand site John. When I went to up North last week the A1 verges were were a carpet of poppy’s.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 08:23:35 pm »

Many thanks  all.

Maybe Mark can answer your question,Richard,it's the first time I've been,I didn't know about  annual and perennial blooms, I'm aware of what it means but  I don't know if it applies here.

I think the fisheye is ok in some situations but not all,I wasn't a fan myself really and got it to see what a supercell on the prairies would look like. I like mitt when photographing those  1950's cars though,well,it's there if I want it..boys with toys   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:33:56 pm »

These are brilliant John, every image is a work of art and I think the fisheye works very well with this subject, the image which does it for me is the last one - that says it all  Smiley, Very enjoyable thread.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 11:19:21 pm »

Thanks Martin- that was strange. I replied to your nighttime shots and clicked reply here and got a 'can't connect to server' message like the other day so I logged out and back in and as you see it's ok now.

Yes, that last one sort of struck a chord with me too and as you say it 'said it all'. I think with the fisheye it's like marmite Lol..you love it or hate it - maybe not  those extremes but I find people either like fisheye or don't,they don't seem to like one photo with it but not another.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 08:47:10 am »

Hi John,

I went past the fields on wednesday (were taking 3 coach loads of kids to the safari park) - the poppies are still there, though nowhere near as abundant, you definitely got the timing right.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 11:58:51 pm »

That;s surprising Mark,I thought they'd have finished just after I photographed them. Remember them for next year.

3 coach loads of kids !!.... are you crazy  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 01:16:18 am »

3 coach loads of kids !!.... are you crazy
Depends how hungry the liions are Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum