Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 16, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Bust chase day and new lens

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bust chase day and new lens  (Read 451 times)
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: June 08, 2011, 11:39:39 pm »

Thought id stick up a few images from Tuesdays storm chase that produced very little in my target area. I could see storms in the distance that were producing thunder and lightning as Martin was able to confirm this via text message (cheers Martin). These storms were too far away for me to go after as i had decided to stay local. I had some threatening clouds and small gust fronts but it wasn't to be my day. 

First image is with my trusty 18-70 but the rest are with a recently purchased Tokina 11-16 F2.8 which is proving to be a good piece of glass so far. Ive been after it for a while and it should prove useful for night work as well.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 05:35:05 am »

Looks like a great lens Paul, good luck on your next chase day.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 07:03:31 am »

Nice shots Paul!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 11:05:15 am »

Lovely images Paul, I bet you are delighted with the new lens, I know I would be with that beauty. Really like the refreshing wide angle effect from it which is very striking in the last image - which is a really cool image by the way  Smiley. You are going to have lots of fun with this one, all you need now is a big close range shelf cloud or all-sky mammatus display. Thanks for texting me too, it was good to know where you where and what was happening, until the next chase (Fri maybe) - happy hunting  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 11:23:43 am »

Paul love the framing of the wind turbine image with the road and wire fence works well. Look forward to seeing some nightscapes with your new addition to the kitbag.

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 12:31:40 pm »

Paul..nice shots there  I assume  you're  at 11mm with shots 2 & 3  so we can see the widest angle ? Certainly a good piece of glass as you say. That's wider than my 15mm fisheye  but of course it's  a rectilinear lens. It's a good feeling when you get the lens you've had your eye on for a while.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 10:45:30 pm »

Thanks everyone, could be the chance of something interesting tomorrow alright Martin-i will be keeping an eye on things as always  Smiley
Yes John 2, 3 & 4 all at 11mm. What i have noticed with this lens is very little distortion compared to other wide angles on the market although most of these are 10mm at the wide end. I sacrificed that 1mm for the constant 2.8 aperture for night work and cant wait to try it out on future meteor showers and other stuff
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum