Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 09:02:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Misc US Photos

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Misc US Photos  (Read 380 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2011, 05:32:32 pm »

Here are the misc. photos I took. What amazes me about the fisheye is that you stand within 12 inches of your subject - this is great if you want to photograph somewhere  where lots of people go,you can get right up to the subject and cut them all out. I noticed a blue ring around the perimeter but I cleaned the hood since and it seems ok ...the hood  is separate and can be  fitted to give that circular frame . I need to take some more shots to make sure it's sorted. I'm on a learning curve with this lens.

This is the drought stricken Red River at Hollis OK

The Hollis Bridge over the river.

Dorothy with Toto at the Wizard of Oz house in Liberal Kansas.

We were in I 44 in Missouri and someone shouted 'Amish' we didn't have anyone in the van called Hamish so I looked out of the window and  saw these Amish people ,it was a case of grab a very quick shot (once again) as we travelled past them at 60mph ! I've had to up the exposure  so they aren't the best but I had to post them .

View From my hotel room at OKC. I've had better views Lol. Those are our two chase vans below.

Similarly with these two birds-  both too far away but one is a turkey vulture-  very common and the other a mocking bird,common too,I think except when I want to photograph one.I took the photo of the mocking bird from the hotel window  at dusk - not ideal, it's sitting on a car park lamp-post and just too far away really as wells not enough light.

And lastly, Cliff Swallows under the Canton Lake bridge OK.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:42:32 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:11:50 pm »

Excellent pickies John!!!!   Cool
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 11:13:07 pm »

Generous in you appraisal Mark,Lol... I wouldn't post the birds on a bird forum, that's for sure  lol..but they're interesting for us to look at .Also I could have pointed out the pale grasses in the barn photos- the drought has been very bad in many parts of the Mid-West but Missouri got a lot of rain with the storms and they hadn't suffered like OK KS and TX.
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 04:18:24 pm »

Excellent set of misc. photos John. I think my favorites would have to be the barn and old house, the old truck at the gas station (was it still running or just for show?) and the Turkey Vulture. We have lots of the Vultures at my home near the ravine, but I've never had my camera at the ready or the right lens on to catch one. Great shots, the end to what sounds like a memorable and productive trip!
Report Spam   Logged
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 04:52:30 pm »

Congratulations John on capturing some stunning images a very rewarding collection.

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 11:01:10 am »

Brilliant images John!, love the effect from the fisheye, that could come in handy for cool winter/ice/snow scenes at close range with dramatic effect. 7th image down showing the barn in the field is amazing and sums up what I see in my mind when I think of the US mid west  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 11:36:45 am »

Many thanks all- I should have posted  that barn in B&W too, I tried it and it looks  quite good.

Richard ..are those vultures or turkey vultures  you have there ?- I assume the regular ones. You really need to get the camera with the lens attached  at the ready and the settings already dialled in-maybe on one of the 'custom settings'. To have a bird like that flying around you is something - I'd love to see some photos of them.I've learnt to have the camera/lens at the ready for our back yard shots, ( we call it a garden though) I've missed some good ones with the gear being in the bag.

The garage  (gas station) where that old red car was is closed - defunct, so I assume the car is,having said that it looks to be in good condition so maybe it's roadworthy but thinking about it maybe it's sort of a museum. I just had 5 mins. to take the photo and didn't think about the  setting. They were  the very first shots I took with the fisheye too.

I need to think out of the box re. the fisheye but even the 17-40  at 17mm will cause poles to lean  and here's the answer.  http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/  Only $25 too. A friend (chase friend) in  the US  told me about it,he uses it and has sent examples of how it straightened the insides of his Prairie barn photos and power lines poles in his weather shots.

I'm getting all my photos (in categories) into my MobilMe (Mac) gallery and each has a folder and each has an url so it's solving my  'no website'  issue - I'll be able to post an url  address so I'll try it out on you good folks soon Lol.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum