Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 08:08:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Change of pace/New subjects

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Change of pace/New subjects  (Read 325 times)
rjgjr
« on: May 20, 2011, 03:44:58 pm »

Having shot mostly Landscape material most of my life, I'm venturing out in my old age and trying something new. I recently moved a hanging bird feeder that was 25 yards from the front of my home to the back and situated it on a permanent pedestle not 10 feet from a well placed window. It just bugs the heck out of my cat and she sometimes forgets she is on the inside when trying to go after the birds. I'm not a bird officado at all and know very few of the species. I'm not sure if these are common enough to be world-wide or not. If anyone knows any of these or others that I'll post, please let me know. When John C gets back from chasing, he'll probably be a big help.The first one I do know is our Stellar Blue Jay, one of the nastiest birds around. A lot of these were taken on cloudy, dreary days so are either fuzzy or noisey. All were taken at 250mm and cropped. Enjoy our featherd friends.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 09:28:33 am »

They're all great photos Richard!  I love wildlife so it's great to see some from out of the UK.  I've seen Blue Jays when we went to Canada a few years ago, I have some flicks of them somewhere.  Not sure what the rest are without getting by bird book out.  No3 reminds me of the sparrow we have in the UK, and pic No5 with the posture of the bird really brings home to me how birds evolved from dinosaurs!

Excvellent stuff!!!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 11:48:37 am »

Yep agree with Mark lovely to see types of wildlife we don’t see here in the UK, is the last bird part of the Grosbeak family.

Thanks for posting them.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 10:30:38 am »

Beautiful birds Richard!, I'm sure John C might be able to make an ID on these when he gets back from chasing. Cracking comment about the dinosaur-relationship in the last image....couldn't agree more...like a small velociraptor!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:35:18 pm »

Wow-I'd love to have them on my feeder. I'll spend some time checking these out,Richard. I photographed your common  turkey  vultures - everywhere clearing up the carrion from the countryside. s OK. I photographed Cliff Swallows - then the next day an EF 3 hit the area. I'll post them in photography when I'm through with the storm photos.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum