Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 07:59:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A Few From Ballyronan Marina

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Few From Ballyronan Marina  (Read 1607 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2008, 02:22:53 pm »

Thanks guys for the feedback. Those blobs are the famous Lough Neagh fly. In fact, it's extremely difficult to get an image from there without them invading the frame unless the temp is cold. Last night the sky was rich with them over the Lough but not as bad as during May when they were quite spectacular. Back then they gathered into what looked like large funnels over the treetops which caught the attention of the tourists.

Here's a youtube video clip I took during that time. The compression really kills the true scene but you get an idea about what it was like...

Thanks Brian for the tips about the images. I very much like the idea of the crop and colour change. I must have a go at it. The drop in light levels and change in colour of the sky over the Lough was quite dramatic. It's a very good place for anyone wanting to catch auroras or NLCs reflecting on the water. The shot with my dog was tricky. I was on my knees with camera in one hand and neck strap in the other with the camera almost touching the ground to get that low level shot. I really needed a tripod as you suggested. I had one of those mini flexi tripods in my case but found it to be quite useless in practice. Lesson learned - always bring a tripod!.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum