Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 09:43:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Summer Forecast 2011

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer Forecast 2011  (Read 583 times)
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:19:31 pm »

Thought you might all be interested in this http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=summer-forecast;sess=  - looks like we may be in for a hot summer?

Now, to speculate a bit further ahead...  If you look at the winters historically in relation to the summers http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=other;type=winthist;sess= maybe more snow???

All fun - but informative reads never the less...
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:58:34 pm »

Beat me to it Mark, just read it and digested the forecast, could be a great hot and dry summer with hose pipe bans if this comes off and more gorse fires, maybe big storms for S Britain. Not insipiring weather-wise for us up here for storms unless we get a major clash of Atlantic air meeting that southerly flow...could be explosive. Looks like this is going to be an interesting year. I'm very skeptical about these long range forecasts but time will tell. Thanks for the post.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:59:13 pm »

Just looked at this Mark it will be interesting to see what the true outcome will be. Do you remember last year when all the predictions were for a BBQ summer, the only thing my BBQ encountered was a few sausages followed by a rusty griddle through the remaining part of the summer months.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 06:49:17 am »

Lol, your BBQ griddle did the same as mine Anton - we bought a new one over easter (which is probably starting to rust already!).

I know what you mean Martin about being skeptical about these forecasts, going any length of time weatherwise is always risky business.  What I do like about the NetWeather long range is that they do atleast back it up with some reasoning (whether it be right or wrong!), and certainly IMHO carries somemore clout than the weather headlines that get reported in the newspapers which tend to be as informative as their horoscope page.

Weather for me of late has just been grey and damp, very uninspiring.  Unfortunately will probably stay this was as today my school takes delivery of a solar telescope that we won from a grant from the Institute of Physics - you know what new telescopes means - bad weather!!!  Antons lightning detectors arrival has no doubt compounded the poor weather situation aswell  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 09:55:57 am »

I have very little faith in long term / seasonal forecasts.

Here's mine, for summer 2011 in Northern Ireland:

Some days it will rain for some of the time. Some days the sun will shine some of the time. Average temperatures in June, July and August will exceed those in December, January and February respectively. Lying snow is unlikely but not impossible.

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum