Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 11:53:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

2011 Noctilucent Cloud Season

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 Noctilucent Cloud Season  (Read 10567 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: May 17, 2011, 03:18:25 pm »

It's that time of year again so a new thread has been started to share your NLC images, videos, reports, comments, thoughts, links, and alerts. Please post all NLC related imagery in this thread so we can keep things tidy and have a nice resource to look back on. With increased solar activity this season is not expected to be a good one however these night shining clouds are very unpredictable so no one knows what to expect which will make the NLCs of 2011 even more exciting. The typical season runs from late May to early August so the first displays are likely any night now so keep an eye on the twilight sky after sunset and again before dawn. Good luck and clear skies  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:17:35 pm »

Thanks for the heads-up Martin and for the additional information via your website, I shall be certainly observing each night in hope, I have never witnessed NLC before not sure my home location is suitable though.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:02:39 am »

I've been looking every clear night (of which there haven't been many!) since the end of April, and there's been nothing.   I want to be personally more active this years season, various reasons last year meant I didn't see many NLC. 

If you're after a heads up as to whether anything is visible or not there is the NLC forum http://nlcnet.proboards.com/index.cgi   Sightings can also be reported here if you wish http://www.kersland.plus.com/nlcreps.htm

I am informed that we should have the radar temperature data available within a couple of days which should give us a rough indication of when we might expect the season to kick off!  As soon as I know anything I will pass the info on.

All you need location wise Anton is somewhere with a decent NW to NE horizon...
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 07:11:12 am »

Another lovely clear night last night (24th), sadly no NLC visible yet, however the twilight arch looks glorious!  Not long now!!!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 09:49:33 am »

First sighting of the season from Russia http://nlcnet.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=2011nlc&action=display&thread=648&page=1

Time to start looking when the skies finally clear!

*edit* also confirmed from Denmark and Moscow...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 11:36:27 am by markt » Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 11:00:55 am »

Goof stuff Mark, it's game on now. Also clouded out for last night's aurora too.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 10:14:42 am »

Alan Tough got photos of NLC visible from Scotland.  Game on indeed!   Grin  Grin  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 11:01:15 am »

Brilliant!, I was clouded out last night but good to know Alan was got one.....certainly game on  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 12:50:02 am »

Poor conditions tonight with some high cloud & lumps of decaying shower cloud but NLC positive at 2330 (May 30th) - a smooth band / arc about 3 deg high in the north, less high to the west & east of north, the arc is about 2 deg in height. Very faint indication of rays from the northern horizon stretching up towards Cassiopeia but I think these are high cloud (cirrostratus) illuminated by twilight rather than auroral in nature.

Edit: Hmmm, reviewing images I'm no longer so sure ... maybe the arc is just shadowing by cirrostratus. Judge for yourself.

2011 May 30, 2334 UT.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:29:11 am by brianb » Report Spam   Logged
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 09:12:17 am »

31/05/11 0118 UT 4 sec f4.5 ISO 800

Faint, but it's a start!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 03:32:23 pm »

I was at the north coast last night all night long and saw no NLCs at all, however there was a slight enhancement to the twilight above the horizon however that looked normal to me. I saw the streaks too, they were distant cirrostratus drawn into streaks by the jet stream and their shadowing generated that enchancement. Lovely sky last night all the same. Cool images by the way guys which really show that variation in brightness extremely well  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 05:31:23 pm »

Nice images guys!  I think in Brians it's the twilight arch in cirrus, though does appear to be something faint in Pauls.  I'm on the north coast of Norfolk atm, bout 100yards from the beach.  Today has been gloriouslly sunny and tonight promises to be clear.  Camera is charged so will be heading off down to see what I can see after sunset...  Fingers crossed for something good tonight and in the nights ahead with this high pressure that has developed...  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 10:00:51 pm »

Having seen NLC's for the first time last year I'll definitely be  on the look out this time and will recognise them this time too.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 03:06:23 am »

Just saw my 1st NLC display of the season, and quite nice it was too, 01.09 - > 03.00 BST, type 3 brightness, with band (II) and wave structure (III), 20 deg high and 100 deg in azimuth from N to NE through Auriga, Perseus, Aries, Pisces. Images taken.
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 04:14:24 am »

Yes Martin, a corker of a display to start off the season, heres a quick wide angle image-more tomorrow

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum