Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 07:38:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Glenshane Multicell Storm Chase Images/Report

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Glenshane Multicell Storm Chase Images/Report  (Read 604 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2011, 07:53:43 pm »

Just completed an image report on the May 9th chasing I did on Glenshane Pass where I intercepted 4 thunderstorms during the biggest outbreak of storms in NI for years, three of these storms where massive multicells and two of them were severe. The highlight was the pink lightning and amazing whale's mouth displays under the gust fronts, also included is the high precipitation severe cell which I chased with Jackie McCann - the weather presenter for BBC Newsline. Amazing day with non stop action. The report has more images at a larger size that can be seen on here so check it out, cheers.

http://www.nightskyhunter.com/Severe%20Multicell%20Thunderstorms,%20Glenshane%20-%20May%209th%202011.html

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:38:29 pm »

Martin, you nailed this chase and a day you will never forget this, just read the report and felt like I was there chasing the storm with you, very detailed account of the days activity and I must say this is probably one of your best documented events and it’s a credit to your dedication well done bud.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 08:40:29 pm by Anton » Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 09:19:49 pm »

Thanks a million for the nice feedback and support Anton - very much appreciated  Smiley, when the day is featured on the radio I will post a link on here.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 07:23:19 am »

The report and pictures on here are great Martin, then I went to the full report on your website and it is even better!!!  You had a brilliant day and this is a brilliant record of it!!!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 09:16:56 am »

Superb shots,Martin - and  I felt like I was a passenger reading the linked report . When I get back from the US (May 28) I'll go through this report again to see the detail you were looking  at prior to deciding to get out there and also when you got onto it. We had similar skies here for an hour or so but I probably didn't realise what I was looking at,I dithered but just had to get on with sorting out stuff for the Sunday US trip.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 11:34:58 am »

Thanks Mark and John for the feedback, it was a fun day and certainly the lighlight storm day in NI for 2011 so far, although I suspect there will be bigger and better to come during the Summer. Wish I had a lightning trigger on Monday - if I had I would been posting many images of daytime strikes, I'm considering getting one now. John, I wish you the very best of luck with the US trip!!, I know you will come back with an abundance of spectacular images... Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 05:34:51 pm »

Martin, I ordered an AEO Lightning Trigger two weeks ago from the States so should be here with in the next few days, when it arrives I will mail you what the quality is like or even better if we are fortunate to see a few storms soon I can document a review of its performance.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 05:40:25 pm »

Excellent Anton!, please do let me know what you think of it. Did it coast much?
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 05:50:31 pm »

Martin, I ordered an AEO Lightning Trigger two weeks ago from the States so should be here with in the next few days, when it arrives I will mail you what the quality is like or even better if we are fortunate to see a few storms soon I can document a review of its performance.

That's very interesting Anton - just googled it...  I may look into making one of these - with a 'lightning detecting circuit' and a remote control it should be quite easy to marry the 2 circuits together...  Will report back on this...
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 06:39:48 pm »

I paid $115.00 should have been $130.00. It should be a simple circuit Mark so good luck in making one, I thought about making one as we design PCB boards for various applications,  thought it would only take a few days to get here I could have made one in the time its taken so far to deliver.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 07:12:01 pm »

Thanks for the price Anton, keep us posted on any developments!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum