Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 10:16:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Yellow Hammer

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yellow Hammer  (Read 677 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2011, 08:55:12 pm »

I took this yesterday on my hill.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 09:54:18 pm »

Very nice against the blue sky John, great shot-how far away were you?
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:08:42 pm »

Nice capture John, he looks very content perched there even a twinkle in he’s eye.

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 10:28:01 pm »

That is very good!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 12:14:58 am »

Thanks all - I thought you'd like it   Smiley  .... bit of a cutey really. I have an App with bird songs so I'll listen to it . There were quite a few birds around and I  was focusing on a buzzard when it took off - they don't hang around and it flew off to a distant tree. It must have seen me, they have excellent eyesight. I went to photograph another sunset and had a blue pullover on  instead of my all green gear and my green lens cover too.

Paul - The YH was sitting on the top of a tree or high bush (I think it's hawthorn ) and I managed to get within20-25metres  of it. I took it at 1/2500 sec. at 5.6 ISO 250. It looks like a juvenile to me.  I was able to use a fence post as a  lens support too.

I also got a shot of a Gold Finch which I can't really post because it's sitting on barbed wire but only 10 paces away - what a shame. I walked past a bush and it was there right infront of me so it was a case of point and shoot quickly then it was off as it heard the shutter action.

Well, here it is....I've cropped as much of the wire out as possible.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:31:30 am by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 01:38:35 am »

Cracking image John, the green feathers against the blue sky is striking, great capture  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 07:35:16 am »

Excellent Goldfinch John!  I personally think the wire adds to the shot - maybe less crop to include his tail?  We've managed to attract goldfinches to our garden finally - they love nyjer seed...  We started off with a pair a couple of years ago, now this year there can be up to 8 at any one time... 

This year the sparrow hawk seems to be back after a couple of years absence - not good news for the other birds, but pretty to see him flying about...
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 09:06:54 am »

Thanks both. The colours are enhanced as you say,Martin due to the blue sky I'm sure, so I was lucky.

Mark--Unfortunately the bit of tail left was behind the barbed wire . I'll try again up there after the US trip. Here's the original-a bit cropped in but you can see the wire as it was where the bird was. I don't want to take the wire away and put a tree in like some would   Grin infact a friend ,tongue in cheek and laughing suggested just that but that's not right . It's beyond my capability  in Photoshop anyway.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum