Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 10:52:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

April Showers !

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: April Showers !  (Read 451 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2011, 01:09:56 pm »

Two images from Monday showing the classic 'April Showers' weather we get in the UK/Ireland at this time of year. Unstable showery airmass with 200 CAPE - not enough for thunderstorms but plenty for heavy downpours and cool convective scenes. This nasty gust front appeared over the Sperrins and advanced towards me, when it passed over it produced moderate rain and hail with gusty outflow winds and a significant drop in temp, it was more like a weak squall line. The dark storm clouds looked great contrasting with the green fields. Benson knew trouble was heading our way... Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 03:59:49 pm »

LOl..Yes, Benson is definitely eyeing up that gust front - a great chase companion to have. Couple of dramatic shots there,Martin.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 03:44:06 pm »

Class shots, you've got the sunshine lighting up the foreground in the first which makes for the perfect scene-impressive gust front that. I had some decent hail showers as well on Monday.  Benson is watching for the cg bolt  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 07:15:09 pm »

Great pics Martin!  I like the cycles of weather we go through, and despite prefering clear skies I actually quite like it when we have april showers, means it's not too long till the swifts return and only slightly longer till we need to be looking out for NLCs Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 01:06:54 pm »

Thanks everyone for the comments....I love April too because it means two things...

1) An increase in the number and quality of thunderstorms as we ahead towards Summer

2) The Return of NLCs
Report Spam   Logged

jjb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 06:53:46 pm »

With the emphesis on nlc returning lets hope they put on a good show this season.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum