Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 08:27:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Thunderstorm Vid, Maghera - April 2nd

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thunderstorm Vid, Maghera - April 2nd  (Read 464 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2011, 02:49:58 pm »

Short vid of the storm over Maghera on Sat which Conor, Declan, and I where watching which produced tightly grouped c-g and i-c lightning and rapid rotation under the flanking area. The highlight was the stunning white anvil at the back of the cell 3/4 way through the clip. At the end is a sunset gust front which produced a very heavy hail shower which was so bad I could hardly see the road at times. This clip is mostly of cloud structure.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 07:35:14 pm »

Great cloud formation Martin and the sky colour in the last part of the vid with the hail shower looks stunning, hope you enjoyed the day. We had a brief storm here late PM today.
Report Spam   Logged

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 08:41:12 pm »

Nice video there Martin.

God i havent been on this forum in ages lol

Yesterday brough me one of the best hailstorms i have ever witnessed
Nasty cell developed to my west and passed right over me , battering us with pea to marble sized hailstones  and a good few flashes of lightning. We had a party under way in our house and everybody was amazed at the size of the hailstones.
Normally when i have hailstones ,they usually just bounce off the ground, these ones where so big that where smashing into little bits when the hit something.Lots of car alarms where going off and after the storm passed  we went outside and you could literally pick the stones up off the grass. It was truly amazing! to start the storm season.

About 3 miles east of my house, where a fellow member of the IWN lives (im sure you have seen his images on this) witnessed a lightning bolt hit a field fence 20 feet from his house!

Padraig
Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 07:22:12 am »

Excellent vid Martin!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 02:12:32 pm »

See what you're missing Padraig  Grin

That's a super video,Martin and what a treat at he end with the orange  sky.fantastic,really enjoyed it, pity there wasn't more of that orange structure-as good as anything in the   the US ,.next year I'd be better off, financially too,  taking two weeks in NI Lol.
Report Spam   Logged
Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 03:55:09 pm »

Lol yeah i know , some new photos of the storm that hit me Last saturday can be viewed here, they where taken while the storm was right over my area and where taken by another member of the IWN
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john_lyster/5584533839/in/set-72157626293710681/

Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 12:31:59 pm »

Glad everyone liked the video, pity I hadn't pressed record 10 sec's earlier as I would have caught a barrage of lightning at the very start of the clip, however at least the vid captures the atmosphere and the storm structure. The orange gust front was a great treat I have to say.

I saw the images/vid Padraig, he came so close to getting zapped!
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 03:56:01 pm »

Looked at your link ,Padraig-great structure there.

What a shame you missed the CG barrage,Martin.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum