Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 07:52:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sand / Dirt Storm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sand / Dirt Storm  (Read 605 times)
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« on: March 31, 2011, 07:56:31 pm »

Well I have driven through a few hazardous conditions over the years but have never driven through a sand / dirt storm / before. This occurred today on the A1M north of the UK during high winds, the image only shows the start of things to come and at one point visibility was down to just a few yards. A really odd experience because you good still see the clear blue sky but at ground level it was a really issue to see what was in front of you. An hour or so later I heard on the radio there were many accidents which closed the section of Motorway. The image was taken via a phone so a little poor quality.

Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 10:37:45 pm »

Wow Anton that looks crazy! You did well to grab a shot on the phone in those conditions, did it come on fast or slowly build up?
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 10:49:35 pm »

Driving condition were clear, nice blue sky apart from the high winds you could see in the distance a cloud of dust / sand flowing across the Motorway I new that it was going to be dense so hit the hazard lights to warn the traffic behind, I slowed down gradually and kept a distance between me and the car in front unlike the van to my right, it was a strange experience I must say, it lasted for a good 1/4 of a mile.

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:08:20 pm »

Sounds intense, great job on the driving too  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 01:17:17 pm »

Amazing for the UK,well captured.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 09:28:37 pm »

Great capture Anton.  That's pretty mad!  What was the source of the dust - a quarry or something?
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 11:18:37 pm »

Hi Mark, I believe it was a combination of adjacent roadwork’s with recent excavated ground work and dust from the ploughed fields, very strange though.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum