Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 05:04:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A Few From Ballyronan Marina

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Few From Ballyronan Marina  (Read 1598 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2008, 11:37:41 pm »

Had a visit to Ballyronan Marina late this evening just before sunset. Quite a calm and beautiful place before dusk. Took a few shots of the Lough despite the extremely low light levels. Really needed a tripod for a longer shutter speed. Thought I would share them anyway despite the rush effort and suspect focus.

This shot was on purpose to pick up the wing beat

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 09:01:24 am »

Isn't it interesting how the colour shifts as the twilight starts to fade?

Some nice shots there, I particularly like the one below the one with the dog - it's so simple, just water and sky - I think crop it to a very long letterbox format (about 4:1), warm the colours up a little (or convert to monochrome) & place the horizon 1/3 the way up for maximum impact.

If I could be forgiven for being a little bit "picky", it does help to have the horizon level when it's a flat one like these are! I find a tripod and a gridded screen help a lot for landscape photography, and not just for steadying the camera. Yes, I know you can fix a tilt in Photoshop, but I'd rather get it right in the first place - comes from exposing a lot of slides I suppose.

Report Spam   Logged
davegrennan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 01:37:52 pm »

Some nice shots there Martin.

Question:  In the second pick there looks like lots of really small scattered clouds in the sky.  Is this what they are?  If so I don't think I've seen clouds so small and numerous.
Report Spam   Logged

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
------------------------------
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
http://www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 01:45:09 pm »

Dave, those could be Lough Neagh flies, the place is alive them this time of year, the lough is famous for them!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 02:22:53 pm »

Thanks guys for the feedback. Those blobs are the famous Lough Neagh fly. In fact, it's extremely difficult to get an image from there without them invading the frame unless the temp is cold. Last night the sky was rich with them over the Lough but not as bad as during May when they were quite spectacular. Back then they gathered into what looked like large funnels over the treetops which caught the attention of the tourists.

Here's a youtube video clip I took during that time. The compression really kills the true scene but you get an idea about what it was like...

Thanks Brian for the tips about the images. I very much like the idea of the crop and colour change. I must have a go at it. The drop in light levels and change in colour of the sky over the Lough was quite dramatic. It's a very good place for anyone wanting to catch auroras or NLCs reflecting on the water. The shot with my dog was tricky. I was on my knees with camera in one hand and neck strap in the other with the camera almost touching the ground to get that low level shot. I really needed a tripod as you suggested. I had one of those mini flexi tripods in my case but found it to be quite useless in practice. Lesson learned - always bring a tripod!.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 03:21:52 pm »

Those blobs are the famous Lough Neagh fly.
Hmmm, I know them well - but not as well as those who live by the lough. The University of Ulster used to have a freshwater research post at Traad Point (very close to Ballyronan) & sometimes it wasn't actually possible to drive to it as the flies were so thick visibility was reduced to a few feet!

It's a Good Job the things don't bite, otherwise the whole area round the lough would be a no-go area for mammals Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Steveo74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 09:35:58 pm »

Great captures Martin!   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks,
         Steven..

Visit my Blog http://steviesskyshack.blogspot.com

Visit my Flickr  http://www.flickriver.com/photos/16671294@N07/
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 11:29:43 pm »

Very nice work Martin. I know Ballyronan as I often pass through when I have to visit Cookstown, Coagh and Stewartstown occasionally - I usually try and spare five mins at Ballyronan just to look at the Lough and grab a couple of shots. A very atmospheric place and you've captured it perfectly.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 11:39:40 pm »

Thanks Paul. It really is a great place isn't it and an excellent location for any photographer. I wished I lived closer to the area so I could take full advantage of it. The night sky and reflections on the water is a very obvious temptation. I recall seeing a blood red lunar eclipse above the lough itself years ago and the reflection on the water was breathtaking!. Didn't have a camera then though.

Also from a weather point of view, photography of storms over the lough is a big attraction for me. The breeze over the lough meeting the natural wind would create a good local convergence zone for vortex phenomena. I recall seeing images of two substantial funnel clouds captured above the lough within an hour during May. Under the correct conditions a full waterspout would be possible (which has happened before) which would make a stunning photo. Several years ago a tornado did some damage in the area but it first formed as a waterspout over the lough before moving inland. Something to watch out for. If nobody believes this then ask John, he will tell you all about it  Smiley

Definitely worthy of many photo sessions.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum