Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 07:06:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Car Window Mount For Camera

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Car Window Mount For Camera  (Read 518 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: March 15, 2011, 11:07:51 pm »

Took a few pics of my last purchase and thought I would share them here for anyone who might be interested in buying one for their own photography. This is a suction camera mount which attaches to your car window or body work, very handy for storm chasing and for low light shooting while parked on the road side, worth having in the car at all times incase you forget the tripod. I've grown to love this unit, only cost a few pounds on Ebay and worth getting for the collection in my opinion.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 11:26:11 am »

Excellent gadget and very useful to keep in the car.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:12:00 pm »

Cheers Martin,that would be great in rain and I'd be getting a cover for it too. There's no need to pay a fortune either,I've just seen a page of them in my photo mag. and tbh. the transparent plastic ones will do the job just as well as the expensive ones - I think  Grin  and you can see what you're doing too.Anyway here's the link.You even get two for £5.75. they're called Optech rain sleeves. Fits lenses up to 17.8 cm. long (7 inches in old money). and  47 cms (18 ") width .The photo shows it on  one of Canon's  white lenses  on a camera - looks like a 70-200 or maybe a prime 300/400mm.

Here they are at Warehouse Express for 20p.more   http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-OpTech-Rainsleeve/p1017072?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=optech%20rainsleeve&utm_campaign=F%20Bags%20/%20Rain%20Covers&cm_mmc=google%20Warehouse%20Express%20-%20Bags%20%26%20Tripods-_-F%20Bags%20/%20Rain%20Covers-_-Optech%20Optech%20Rainsleeve-_-optech%20rainsleeve

Here's a good photo but £2 more at Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tech-Rainsleeve-Digital-Cameras-Lenses/dp/B000PTFDYO
I googled Newpro.co.uk which is the contact given by the magazine  but they seem to be showing other companies so I googled the sleeve name Optech. You  need one anyway for your  rough seas photos that you get now and then - keep that salt spray off the gear.

Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 06:21:49 pm »

Neat looking gadget Martin. How reliable do you find the suction part of this mount - i.e. has it ever given way when being used? Presumably there is also a weight limit factor involved when choosing which lens to use, too.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 07:11:58 pm »

Andy, so far it has fit very snuggly and securely, once the suction cup is attached there's a lever which you fold over which locks it very tight. Conor has used his with the Sigma 100-300mm lens with no probs but I wouldn't try anything much heavier, I would certainly not consider using the Canon 100-400mm, just too heavy. Good for wide angle lenses though and general shooting.

Thanks for all the links John, I got mine from Ebay for less than £5.00 and that included delivery so it's almost for nothing.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 10:03:17 pm »

Good stuff Martin!  I bought my dad a similar one for Christmas a couple of years ago - his has a base with a clamped slot that sits over the top edge of the car window.  He uses his for his binoculars and spotting scope.  They are a nifty thing! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 01:46:16 am »

Thanks for the reply Martin. I, too, have a Sigma 100-300 lens which I got from ebay a couple of years ago for around fifty quid and it is certainly a nice & lightweight lens (especially when compared to the Miranda 75-300mm lens that I previously owned)!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum