Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 01:59:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Humboldt Penguins

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Humboldt Penguins  (Read 213 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2011, 06:21:01 pm »

I asked about why these  penguins were there (I don't generally agree with 'zoos') but the explanation was that these Humboldt penguins,also known as Peruvian penguins, live off the coast of Peru and Chile  on islands  and are endangered.

What happens is that the Peruvians gather the penguin poo, called guano and it's used and prized as a fertiliser (collecting it is now  banned in S.Africa) ....so the collectors trample on the eggs. The penguins were eaten by sailors, caught for zoos and private collections and their eggs were collected by egg collectors - in the Falklands Island the eggs were so prized that even the school kids were given a day off once a year - Penguin day- to collect their eggs..They get caught in long line fishing gear too,hit by oil spills  from tankers in the treacherous waters off the Cap of Good Hope at the tip of S.Africa and  Cape Horn S. America ,also commercial fishing has reduced their food source greatly. The warm waters of El Nino play a part too because that warm water depletes fish stocks and they think that some 65% of the population of Humbolds were lost during the 1982/83 El Nino.They are on the CITES protection list. Having heard all this then I can accept their captivity better, they live for 20 years in the wild and 30 years in sanctuaries.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:48:27 pm »

Pick up a penguin!  Nice!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum