Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 09:42:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Aurora Tonight

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aurora Tonight  (Read 1040 times)
Conor McDonald

I will live my dream

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2011, 02:20:49 am »

few from tonight, alot more to work on.

Report Spam   Logged

Canon 500D
18 - 55mm lens
35- 80mm lens
70-300mm lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcdonald_conor/

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:17:07 am »

Excellent images Connor! Noticed there was a geomag storm in progress last night on SW, then, noticed this morning Paul has pickies of it on there aswell.  Typically i'm under high pressure grey and murk atm and haven't seen any sun or clear skies for nearly a week now.  Hoping somemore of you chaps caught this and looking forward to seeing the pictures if you snapped it!  Good stuff!!!   Cool
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:33:21 am »

Well done, Conor & co. I just wish we got to see that down here.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:48:57 pm »

Awesome images man, what a night that was!, best aurora since 2005, and all night long too. A few images...

Report Spam   Logged

Conor McDonald

I will live my dream

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 02:04:02 pm »

Class shots man! That was a great night  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Canon 500D
18 - 55mm lens
35- 80mm lens
70-300mm lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcdonald_conor/
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 03:03:16 pm »

Great images both they look fantastic together with the majestic looking location, what an experience you won’t forget this for a long time to come.

Thnaks
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 03:58:18 pm »

Those are incredible images Martin and Conor, the Castle is a cool location.  Love the one of Conor on the Pier with the green colours reflecting in the sea and on the pier  Smiley

Heres a few from my neck of the woods

Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 04:07:51 pm »

Love your images too Paul, great flections across the lake well captured.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 06:42:01 pm »

Thanks everyone for the comments, it was the best we had seen since 2005, things are looking up!

Paul, congrats on those stunning images, the reflections on the lake are perfect, you composed the image like  pro, I bet you had a wonderful time there!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

RN1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 02:36:40 am »

Have not been logged in here for a while but have a look daily, but did manage to see an aurora finally on March 11th after a 6 year wait, finally an aurora has been captured in the  Irish Southern Counties for the first time since 2005. Has been wonderful to see such amazing photos captured on the North coast of Antrim, these photos by Martin Mc Kenna certainly deserve the prize for one of the best  aurora photo taken on the Island of Ireland and deserve a place any Astro magazine.

On the way home from work to Charlestown, Co Mayo, I noticed on www.spaceweather.com that the KP was at level 4 and the BZ was very far south  The KP then dropped to 2 and later around 1am re-energized to storm level 5. My car was very low on petrol so drove to the first relatively dark place I knew with houses close by as not even sure if I had enough petrol to drive home again. Actually could not even see the telephone poles or houses. So the photo is probably the worst aurora photo I or anyone could ever have ever taken with houses, telephone cables and trees, but it was a photo, my first in 6 years. Was mad enough to have stopped in the middle of a usually busy road.  At this time that I took this photo, there was a strong wind blowing and these were 30 sec wind shook exposures at ISO 1600. Took two shots and headed back home as started lashing rain. Got there, just about, Probably driving on fresh air by that stage Grin But that's what its all about.

R Newman
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 02:41:35 am by RN1 » Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 02:42:33 pm »

Nice addition!  You guys are so lucky to have the relatively light pollution free skies that you do in NI, here in midlands light pollution is abysmal...
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 11:06:02 pm »

They're all amazing - how lucky you  are to be able to see them that well and be able to take great images too , the ruins and the lake make a real difference.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum