Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 10:25:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

ISS Flyby 27/2/2011

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ISS Flyby 27/2/2011  (Read 860 times)
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2011, 08:30:45 pm »

Tonights pass of the ISS and docked shuttle at 19:01 from my back garden. A nice bright pass through Orion

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 08:37:25 pm »

That's an excellent capture Paul! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 09:01:09 pm »

Thanks Mark.

And tonights second pass at 20:36 which was much lower and shorter duration, ive converted to B&W because of annoying light pollution and for something different.

Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 11:47:40 pm »

Those are great shots Paul, the first is beautiful cutting through the heart of Orion, and the second definitely different in BW. Thanks for sharing.
Report Spam   Logged
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 10:41:47 am »

Like the images Paul, the B&W looks really cool.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:58:23 pm »

Very interesting: I nearly missed the early pass as I was busy doing other things but managed to "snatch" a couple of short exposures. I was much better prepared for the late pass but didn't realise that the satellite would be going into shadow so close to the start of the pass. Our different locations show quite clearly, from my house the ISS passed very close indeed to gamma Ceti as it was fading. After the ISS went into shadow it remained visible (onboard lights shining through windows?) just barely visible to the naked eye.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 10:37:32 am »

Thanks everyone.    Brian, your are probably 60 miles or more from my location and its amazing how the location of ISS and other objects differs with ground positioning.   Another bright pass tonight so might look about a new location with something interesting in the foreground, if it stays clear of course-it didn't last night.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 11:28:15 am »

Good capture, Paul. As Mark mentioned we've  had nothing but overcast skies ,been like this for a while now, I think people are finding it depressing too,the dullest February since 1997 I hear and useless for  photography.
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 12:51:02 am »

Here are my images from the 27th, both made with Canon 40D & 17-40mm f/4 zoom used at 17mm, f/4.0, ISO 400.

8 sec exposure of early pass, this is a crop from the centre of the frame:

60 sec exposure of the late pass, note the track fading close to gamma Ceti; this is the whole frame resized: the dome of light pollution is from Coleraine  Angry

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum