Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 12:46:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Stena Voyager M.E.S Deployment.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stena Voyager M.E.S Deployment.  (Read 930 times)
scott86

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2011, 01:22:39 am »

Hi folks here is just a few snaps from work on monday, we were performing a drill and launched the m.e.s (marine evacuation system), it involved going down the slides and into the liferaft, it was a good experience and i didn't appreciate the size of the vessel until i was up beside it at sea level! She is some boat, its a shame she's going in september! Sad

one from the bridge

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:06:13 am »

Cool pics Scott!  I think (?) that vessel used to sail the Holyhead to Dublin/ Dun Laughaoire route, then all of a sudden it was only ferries that do it now - wondered where the faster ships went...
Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 12:17:37 pm »

i think it was the stena discovery sailed on the dublin route, theres a few of these boats in the uk, but i think theyre getting phased out. very costly to run, your talking upwards of 15 grand a day in fuel costs etc.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 02:08:53 pm »

i think it was the stena discovery sailed on the dublin route, theres a few of these boats in the uk, but i think theyre getting phased out. very costly to run, your talking upwards of 15 grand a day in fuel costs etc.

Wow!  15 big ones a day in fuel!  Shocked  Mind you I guess that's the price that has to be paid for faster travel - great I guess if there's consistent passenger numbers but if the boats half empty then I guess it's not viable.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 02:41:39 pm »

These are very exciting images Scott, really glad you shared these with us for something different, that looked like a fun exercise, shocking how large the vessel is in the images, pics 2 and 4 say it all. Enjoyed this thread  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:00:41 pm »

Cheers martin, just realised i posted the same photo twice lol yea mark the passenger figures were pretty dismal during the winter months, it holds 1500 people and there were sailings where we had less than 100, in the summer though it was crazy, it was booked solid for 2 weeks straight when the ash cloud stopped the flights! I'm up on the bridge this week so il get a few more snaps when at sea, the view is awesome!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum