Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 12:07:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Monaghan 11/2/11

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monaghan 11/2/11  (Read 463 times)
hal2000

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2011, 06:03:38 am »

Here's a short report from Monaghan on Friday night.

http://eaas.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=observing&action=display&thread=3608
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 04:39:05 pm »

Seems as though you had a very interesting observation period though not as clear and crisp as you had hoped. Thanks for sharing your report with us.
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 06:05:40 pm »

Great read as always Stevie.   Smiley

I think that us amateurs in the UK have really been short-changed this winter!   Angry
On the few 'decent' nights that we've had, I've been thwarted from setting up either by the ice rink/snow conditions (I was not going to risk seeing my portable equipment going crashing to the ground) or by 'ole Luna which, of course, dominates the scene for us in the UK due to its high northern declination when nearing the 'Full' stage!

Leaving the moon aside, it sounds that your new mount has nevertheless paid dividends for you. Good to hear also that it was quick & relatively easy to set up & align & no doubt it will add a new 'element' of fun in future sessions, too. BTW prior to the NextStar mount, what method did you normally use for tracking down DSO's?

Sorry to hear that many of your targets were drowned out somewhat. Do you ever use a broadband filter for observing clusters & galaxies or is he site normally pretty much light pollution-free?
However, at least you know that your new mount is working perfectly. Also by having an enjoyable observing session after a bit of a hiatus, it will have no doubt done wonders to help boost/revive the old morale once again after a pretty crap winter.   Sad
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:04:29 pm by Big Dipper » Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 07:57:45 pm »

Interesting to read your account!  I'm considering one of those Nexstar mounts as a portable option for my solar setup...
Report Spam   Logged

hal2000

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 11:25:23 pm »

Andy, the scope was originally bought as a C6-SGT, so it was on a CG5 mount. But the mount was really far too big for the scope, after all, the same mount is sold with the C11! I remember reading the review in Astronomy Now when the C6-SGT first became available, and the reviewer described it as like looking at a sparrow sitting on a fence. The CG5 was taking me about 20 minutes to get put together and aligned, and I was a bit naffed off with it. But then a mate , who owns a Nexstar 8SE, suggested we do a swap, as he wants to get into serious astrophotography. So it all worked out well in the end. Normally I wouldn't take it to Monaghan, I usually take the lightbridge instead, but I just wanted to give it a good try out.
As for the broadband filter, I occasionally use one at home, but it wouldn't have made much difference on this session. I'm not really a great filter fan to be honest.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum