Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 09:07:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Feb Convection & Flooding

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Feb Convection & Flooding  (Read 273 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2011, 06:10:47 pm »

A few images taken yesterday which don't do things justice. The GFS had updated the forecast to 200-300 CAPE and LIs of 0 over NI which was the highest of the new year so far with plenty of showers on the radar however a strong cap and other factors prevented any thunderstorms, there were no forecasts issued anyway. There was snow on the mountains and hail showers on the go with a sunny blue sky during the late afternoon with ok convection stirring. Conor called around and we chatted for a while then I got a text from Declan who was at Coleraine reporting a big cell with shelf cloud passing over him. We looked outside and could see it from Maghera so we decided to go on a mini chase and get a better view, we ended up in the country in Lavy before sunset. The cell had beefy towers/calvus updraughts and a long flanking line, below was a shelf cloud with hail falling so it was clearly the same cell Declan had encountered. It might not look like much on the images but it keep in mind it was far away so bigger than it seemed. It was strange seeing turkey towers trying their best to shoot up during Feb, the feeble solar heating was certainly helping convection all the same.

The flooding in the fields was unbelievable, field after field of water, it looked like a cluster of vast lakes had appeared over night. The last images show two flooded fields (deep too) with two backlit cells in the distance. We saw more cells and pink mammatus at 60 miles distant which must have been big. The very last image is a sunlit updraught on the back of a cell with the 100-400mm. A fun afternoon out. I can't wait until Spring Smiley. There was lightning in W NI well inland at this time and a waterspout reported off the Shetland islands.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 08:43:44 pm »

Excellent pickies and account Martin!  There's flood warnings on the River Severn not far from me, all that rain from the Welsh mountains of the last few days is heading down river fast...  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 11:55:42 am »

Great images and report Martin love image two with the sunlight reflecting across the water. I assume there were livestock grazing within the fields prior to flooding, I've seen cows surrounded by flood water on a few occasions.

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 02:58:48 pm »

Amazing convection for February and great images. Trust you both  had your wellies with you  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 03:19:10 pm »

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I didn't notice any cows in that field but I assume they where there at one stage, maybe the farmer moved them somewhere else. No wellies with us John, we went for the wet suit instead  Grin our boots were caked in mud though. The flooding was really impressive and some of the towers trying to go up under a strong cap were equally impressive, it's getting more and more like Spring everyday so it won't be long before the real convection returns - I can't wait  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum