Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 10:58:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Whitley Bay Lighthouse with B+W 10 stop filter

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Whitley Bay Lighthouse with B+W 10 stop filter  (Read 1210 times)
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2011, 10:19:55 am »

Yesterday I took the long drive to the North Tyneside to visit Whitley Bay Lighthouse on St Marys Island. This proved to be an expensive day, on arrival the wind was blowing strong gusts, not put off by this I headed down to the tidal causeway where the Light House can be viewed. The causeway was covered by the tide with the waves swirling around the rocks. The conditions were ideal to try a few long exposures with a 10 stop B+W filter. I set up my sturdy tripod attached the camera and framed the shot. The wind was still blowing so my hand never left the tripod for extra stability until I wanted the filter from my bag so I let go of the tripod reached over to the bag and in seconds a ferocious gust of wind blew the tripod crashing to the ground, the 18-55mm lens bounced of the body on impact and rolled down two steps inches from the incoming waves. I had only seconds to grab the lens from the sea or do I pickup the tripod and camera first I went for the camera and then the lens. I retreated to a safer location and checked the damage. The Lens attachment mechanise to the body had cracked with bits of plastic smashed off. After checking the camera I fitted a 35mm Lens a took a few test images which all looked ok. After discovering the camera still worked my tone of language was nearly back to normal. The 35mm lens was not the ideal tool for what I intended to do but it was my only option other 52m lens suitable for the B+W filter. Anyway here are just a few of the images taken the 10 stop filter.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 04:02:27 pm »

Sorry to hear of your disasteroius incident with camera gear. I think we have all had the close calls, knock on wood, haven't dropped anything yet. My closest call was on a sandy beach, an incoming "sneaker wave" caught me by surprise and I fell down while running back up the steep incline with my extended tripod and camera. I was completely soaked, but I did save all my gear out of the water. Hopefully the kit lens was all you sacrificed! Beautiful images, love the long exposure water and especially the last image with the boat ramp leading down into the water toward the lighthouse. One question, am I missing something or is that lighthouse on an island and there at\re tewo vehicles at least that are visible. Lots of gear to carry around or just lazy? Great report Anton!
Report Spam   Logged
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 04:50:56 pm »

Thanks Richard, when the tides out there’s a causeway which stretches across to the lighthouse allowing vehicles / pedestrian access. I found this site with images showing the causeway at low tide.

http://www.friendsofstmarysisland.co.uk/gallery-general.html.

Next time I’m out in windy conditions I’m taking a heavy weight to attach to the trip pod  Cry

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 05:52:20 pm »

Thanks for the info Anton, the water looked a lot deeper than tidal changes.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 06:17:53 pm »

Thats an unfortunate accident Anton, bad luck, think i would have went for the camera first too.

The images are stunning!  Really like the first, you have captured some very nice light on the lighthouse and great composition too.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 06:36:12 pm »

Anton, what a close call you had there, I read the post hoping I wouldn't hear bad news at the end. At least your camera is still working which is the main thing.

Love the images, the last one showing the light house reflection and slip way disappearing into the water is fantastic!
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 06:49:15 pm »

Thanks guys for the comments, I was devastated watching things unfold around me with the camera on one side and lens heading towards the water on the other side. I was so looking forward to using the 18mm with the new addition to the kit bag that being the B+W 10 stop filter, never mind I had a fun and it was a long day 540 miles, good job I had that 35mm lens with me now that would have been a nightmare all that way to capture zilch. Huh
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 05:34:22 pm »

Lovely shots,Anton.  These things do happen to us all .I dropped the 100-400 lens a few months ago, cost £165 to put right.It fell out of the bag,one not designed to hold it.

So what happens at high tide with easterly or NE  gale force winds ? The houses etc. looks a bit vulnerable to me.

Re. a weight ...you could double up use and use a heavy bean bag as I do. I hang that on the end of the  tripod  centre column on the hook provided with it for this purpose as well as a support  when  a tripod is impracticable.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/search/?q=camera%20bean%20bags

I have number 4 £16.99..the double, because I can then hang it on a wound down window over the glass or over the  door if the window;s fully down  and it's unfilled otherwise  you pay for the filling and then the extra postage. If you decide on this then get two bags of the cheapest rice and place them-unopened - inside as the filler. If the rice bag is opened and the rice poured in it will get damp and adversely affect the material.
Report Spam   Logged
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 05:52:40 pm »

Thanks for the link John, I will certainly check these out. Yes I bet its extremely interesting there during a storm best not keep the windows open!! That was my first set of images using the 10 stop filter so hoping for a chance to be out again soon.

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 07:05:31 pm »

Lovely series of pictures Anton!  I love to see your roving photo shoots from around the UK!  Sorry to hear about your accident with equipment... 

I used to live in Sunderland for 3 years, many years ago, and absolutely love the landscape of the north east - only ever been back a few times briefly since.  Would love to do a re-visit!
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 07:59:05 pm »

Thanks Mark, hey if you want to tag along on one of my trips your more than welcome I’m thinking of Whitby Pier North Yorkshire or return trip to the Lakes within the next week, normally go out mid week, John C your also local to me so if you fancy joining the fun bus your more than welcome too.

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

DaveC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 06:15:15 pm »

brilliant photos, my gran used to live opposite the lighthouse, brings back some good memories of waking up to stunning images like this.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 10:10:42 pm »

Thank for the invite Anton.,but Whitby's  just a tad too far for me on a day trip. It's further than Cornwall ..by an hour ( Whitby..4.45 hrs. x 2 is 9 hours) for me and I'd overnight for a trip to Cornwall and that's 3.45 x 2=7 hours. The Lakes  trip is fine  but the weather's not too good next week. When you say 'the old bus'..is that your 4 X 4 ?

I forgot to mention the 10-stop filter. It's worked really well. I have 77mm lenses so one of them would be £85. if I've looked at the right one.It just shows ND3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=10+stop+filter&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=7534188710&ref=pd_sl_13zqeqty57_b

What shutter speed did that give you ? about 30 seconds maybe ?. You've got me hooked here   Smiley

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 10:27:48 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 10:20:52 pm »

brilliant photos, my gran used to live opposite the lighthouse, brings back some good memories of waking up to stunning images like this.
Dave..I was wondering what high tide with an easterly or Ne wind would be like for those  houses..Do you happen to know ?
Report Spam   Logged
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 09:55:08 am »

John, regarding the shutter speeds with the filter attached most of the images were taken at F/20 49 – 60 Seconds. I take the metered exposure time without the filter attached and workout the required exp time with the filter. In the February issue of Advanced Photographer theres a great article on long exposure photography together with filter recommendations. Will pm ref organising a days shoot, Devon might be a more suitable location in terms of travel time I could pick you up on the way.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum