Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 05:09:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Otter Point

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Otter Point  (Read 344 times)
rjgjr
« on: January 30, 2011, 04:24:08 pm »

I've posted photos from this location before, but it's relatively closeby (about 6miles) and always a beauftiful place to spend a little time. It was very, very windy as usual and even with a tripod it was hard to keep things grounded. I've always kept my neck strap on my camera though I use a tripod 99% of the time, and that strap smacked me in the face good several times, the strap is in my camera bag for now. The first three photos and the last show how dramatically the coastline changes here but in a mile or so. In a 75 mile stretch of coastline around me there is probably about 5-6 miles of sandy beaches as in the last photo and the rest are rocky cliff.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 10:19:22 pm »

A great location Richard, I remember  your  earlier trip to Otter Point (I googled it to see why it was called that). I really like  the photo with the couple on the edge  of the cliff - gives some perspective  a 'human touch'.

In windy weather I roll the strap up and put an elastic band round it and  if it's very windy I slip the elastic band over one the tripod legs and around the folded  strap.
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 02:49:02 am »

That's a good idea about the strap, I do like to keep it on for when I recharge the battery and such, I like something to grab on to besides the body when I take it off the tripod. About 10 minutes before that couple arrived, I was standing right where they were on that ledge, a good 75' drop to the rocks and crashing ocean below. I happened to look down at the sandstone and saw numerous veins that were slightly opened up, it didn't take but about 2 seconds to get the heck out of there lol.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 07:19:31 am »

Excellent shots Richard!  You live in a beautiful part of the world Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:42:14 am »

I took a photo like that once, Richard and I don't like heights so I lay on the cliff top but felt very apprehensive. Good point re.having the strap on when taking the camera off. I was more thinking of the strength of wind that causes the strap to just flap about and sometimes blow infront of the lens - nuisance value really . I have a heavy bean bag I use to help stabilise the tripod and the tripod is fairly sturdy but I'm very wary if it's a very strong wind and then I grab hold of the tripod take the shot a retreat fast lol.
Report Spam   Logged
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 11:13:19 am »

Some very dramatic images you have taken Richard, I love rugged coastal locations they never disappoint the photographer and provide many photo opportunities that’s the type of location I would love for a night time shoot.

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 02:34:43 pm »

Great shots Richard from a lovely piece of coastline, i like the cloud structure in 1 and 2.  Do you ever get any night-time Thunderstorms out over the sea? Would be a great spot to shoot them from and at only 6 miles away i wish i was so close to the coast.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 12:26:26 am »

Thanks for the comments. Paul, we get very little thunder and lightning here, too stable an air mass I guess. What we do get is in the winter and is usually hidden by the low clouds and rain as it moves through so all we get is the bright flashes in the clouds.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 08:30:36 pm »

Great images of a great location Richard, all of them are nice but there's something about the 3rd and 4th down which gets my attention. I know that feeling with the strap whacking into your face, that can really hurt sometimes and easily damge an eye. I end up putting the strap around my neck too and stand with arms out ready to embrace the camera and tripod incase they get blown into me.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum