Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 03:56:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Glory

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Glory  (Read 290 times)
Frankie_82

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2011, 06:03:55 pm »

Hi all,
We have been getting plenty of fog in this part of the world recently (Madrid) so was out with the camera on Saturday morning last with the camera looking for some photos of low lying fog. Anyway, no luck with that, but as the sun broke through I turned my attention to Glories and fogbows, without knowing all that much about them.
I managed to get a photo of this faint glory which appeared for about 4-5 minutes on and off during the 3 hours I was waiting and half frozen to death!

It was quite faint, and I had to do a bit of poking in ACR to get it to show a little more strongly. It's not a particularly nice photo, but I was delighted to see it. Really made it worth the 3 hour wait in the freezing cold.

Are these things reasonably common? I don't normally hear much about them, but from reading about them, it seems as if it's quite easy to spot them when on top of a mountain, with the sun at your back looking down on a cloud, or from a plane. It seems that when the conditions occur, they're quite easy to capture. What have other peoples experiences been?

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 05:48:26 am »

Very interesting and beautiful photo Frankie. I have read about these a little bit, never seen one, but I'm sure others on the forum can fill you in.
Report Spam   Logged
DaveH64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:41:15 am »

Stunning stuff, I have caught Glory in the past, usually at the centre of a fogbow if conditions right.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 08:06:06 pm »

Thats a excellent image!  I've seen numerous glories from planes, however never one from 'ground level'.  Trick is getting above the clouds / mist and having the sun shining from behind you...
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 09:18:33 pm »

Nice shot - as you say, worth the long wait.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 11:54:10 pm »

I think that's a very fine image Frankie, you have caught a beautiful Glory and Bocken Spectre, you were very dedicated and got rewarded with a well sought after atmospheric optics display. I have seen a few before at night in fog using car headlights however I've never caught one on camera in daylight before but I hope to change that soon. They probably are fairly common however you don't see that many images of them on the forums because it takes a certain bred of person to have the tenacity to hunt for them in cold conditions. Congrats once again  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Frankie_82

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 06:43:30 pm »

Thanks for all the kind comments. Was delighted to tick this optical effect off the list.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum