Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 12:55:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Wolf Moon Setting

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wolf Moon Setting  (Read 660 times)
rjgjr
« on: January 20, 2011, 05:17:08 pm »

After last nights moonrise being clouded out, I awoke to beuatiful skies this morning. I went down to Kissing Rock and grabbed these shots. In the first one, can someone tell me what causes the crep-type rays in the west at sunrise. Is it still cloud related?
Enjoy!

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 05:24:10 pm »

Stunning!!, the first image is a winner. What you have there are anti-crepuscular rays which converge directly opposite the sunset, so in this case in the morning the rising sun in the E would produce rays at the anti-solar point in the W. Here's more...

http://www.atoptics.co.uk/atoptics/anti1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticrepuscular_rays

Yes, they are caused by clouds and distant hills/mountains. Very nice catch Richard  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 07:34:58 pm »

Thanks for the interesting links Martin!
Report Spam   Logged
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:23:54 pm »

Lovely shots Richard. Just to add a bit of technical info - you'll remember that the partial eclipse of 4th January was a case where the Moon's shadow missed the Earth by being too far North. Look at the focus of your anti-crepuscular rays and you'll see they point to the North of where the Wolf Moon is. This is because 14 days later, the Moon is now South of the ecliptic  as it was North at the time of the eclipse.

Orbital mechanics in action!

Paul.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 09:35:22 pm »

Lovely shots Richard, the Pacific serves you well.

Hopefully, will be adding mine tomorrow .
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 10:07:45 pm »

Looking forward to your shots as always John.
Thanks for the extra technical info Paul. Like a lot of folks, I take for granted what is really behind everything that goes on in the World and Universe, I should take the time to read a little more.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 10:20:06 am »

Fantastic images Richard.  Yes, they're anti - crepescular rays.  I saw these when I was in Iceland for the first time in absolutely years.  Great point about the orbital mechanics of it all Paul - I can see this image is going to have some discussion in my GCSE astronomy class next week Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum