Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 08:17:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Early 2011 Storm clouds

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Early 2011 Storm clouds  (Read 264 times)
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:46:07 pm »

Most of the country was treated to a taste of spring yesterday (14th Jan) with the first daytime convection of 2011. I had been keeping an eye on developments via radar and sat updates and by late morning an interesting looking cell was approaching my location from the SW. I hopped in the car and drove to a good location with great views across the countryside. It felt good to get out shooting convection so early in the year.

First two images showing a decent anvil away in the distance and then a close-up of the left side of the anvil with an updraft tower on another cell.

The skies then got very dark as the cell i had been watching on radar approached. No real structure but dark clouds and and a heavy precipitation core and gusty winds.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 05:07:10 pm »

Nice pictures Paul Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 07:47:30 pm »

Great images Paul, the first one really shows how large an area the cell covers.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 08:35:09 pm »

Great to see convective images from so soon into 2011. Looks like you had a good chase Paul, can't believe I'm saying that in Jan  Smiley. The cell in the first one looks like a real biggie and the dark core in four looks nasty, you were well exposed up there on the mountain, I bet those wind gusts were far from nice!. Like the road shots leading to the precip core. Looking forward to your next outing Paul.
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 09:40:03 pm »

Great images and account of the days chase Paul, love the last image illustrates the days chase With the car and road ahead.

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:06:59 pm »

Good to see skies like this again..Things are starting to look up .
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:42:37 pm »

Thanks everyone for the comments, looking quiet for the rest of the week anyway.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum