Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 08:20:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Kirkstone Pass Lake District

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kirkstone Pass Lake District  (Read 601 times)
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2011, 06:27:37 pm »

Just thought I would share these with you all of my trip through Kirskstone Pass Lake District 11th Jan. The road snakes up through the fells flanked by near sheer drops either side the road hard to navigate at the best of times but tonight the roads were covered with ice, navigating my way through the sharp bends  under darkness and ice was extremely hazardous. At 454m the Kirkstone road is the highest pass in the Lake District that is open to traffic, the gradient is 1 in 4 in places. I stayed over night at the Kirskstone Inn which must be one of the most remote Inns in the country. Unfortunately the skies were not clear which was extremely disappointing, imaging the mountain peaks covered with snow and a sky full of stars would have been a fantastic and enjoyable to view, anyway here are a few images taken.

The first image here highlighted a small group of walkers torchlight’s descending there way down the mountain in the centre of the image, I had been watching them for a while to ensure they made it down safely.  

This was the only car a see all night.

Only wished the sky was clear and full of stars the image would have been so different.

Very appropriate name here !!

Thanks

Anthony

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 06:44:27 pm »

The second to last is a lovely photo. I'm not sure I'd be happy with a torchlight walk in those conditions  though but safety in numbers I suppose.  The photo of them is quite remarkable too. Interesting set of photos,Anton.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 07:05:11 pm »

All great pictures Anton!  It's been a a couple of four years since i've been up in the lakes, but when there had to go up and over the Kirkstone pass just because it is the highest in the lake district.  Tis a wonderful place! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:26:32 pm »

I really like these images Anton, love the thought behind taking night exposures of this majestic place. It looks very cold and unforgiving up there!. Like the 1st image and the car trail shot however my favourite is the 2nd last - a beauty  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:05:32 pm »

Thanks for the comments everyone. The cold experience I accounted out there was so different to the cold conditions i see here the cold was so different it's hard to explain, tears were running down my checks so much so I could not see the live view images without wiping my eyes. Even though the sky was not ideal the feeling of being totally remote from the day to day world felt great it's a shame the lakes are over 200 miles away from my location.
Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 12:31:23 am »

Great shots Anthony, looks very much like the mountain passses here in the States. Second from last is my favorite also, it would look great filled with stars!
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 01:38:10 am »

Those really appeal to me Anton with some looking almost surreal. A pity about the lack of a clear night but the background in the first & third shots look really superb IMO.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
hal2000

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 07:00:17 am »

i took my Mother to the lake district a few years ago for a holiday, and I remember going over this way on a bus trip. It was distinctly dodgy in places, and that was in high summer. Beautiful part of the world.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum