Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 10:59:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

North Coast Night Squalls - Jan 8/9th

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: North Coast Night Squalls - Jan 8/9th  (Read 550 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 04:55:22 pm »

Thanks very much Paul for checking the report out and for the RAW advice, I really need to start shooting in that format. I tried it a few times but the files were so large that my software and computer just froze, not always, but on occasion, I need to do a major clean out first and get an external hard drive to speed the process up then I can get the RAW hard. I might use the RAW and JPEG function just so I can make comparisons.

I'm glad you have that feeling for 2011, I have it too and sense that this is going to be a big one. Would like to be on the W and SW coast this Fri-Sat, excellent CAPE out to sea as well, some passengers on ships will be getting a stunning lightning show. Great to see inland CAPE so early, certainly the earliest which I have ever seen it before.

Thanks very much for the filter information Brian which is much appreciated, I'm learning something new from all of this. Very good point you made about the light source, there really is a limit to what one can do to reduce the red/orange from sodium lights, another option would be to drive further around the coast and set up at a dark location away from lights. A dark spot with a little moonlight would be perfect for picking out storm clouds at night.

Cheers
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum