Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 12:14:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Asteroid (596) Scheila - BBC Stargazing Live

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Asteroid (596) Scheila - BBC Stargazing Live  (Read 394 times)
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2011, 04:24:44 pm »

Hot of the press for you all here!  I used the Faulkes Telescopes N&S today to make observations for the BBC Stargazing Live Event - whilst unfortunately FTS in Australia was rained out all day, and observations on FTN in Hawaii  were very intermittent due to poor weather there, I did manage to get a 30 minute run imaging the recently impacted asteroid (596) Scheila - this confused all the boffins by displaying both asteroidal and cometary behaviour simultaneously in the form of a coma and possible tail.  Unfortunately I was unable to see the coma at all, however I put together an animation which shows its rapid motion over the sky in a 25 minute period.  It's quite a big file, so apologies!

I've sent it off to the BBC so fingers crossed I may get it on wednesdays programme.  I did manage to get a few images for the Crab Nebula this morning aswell with FTN, however cloud was rolling in and I fear despite no amount of post processing that i'm flogging a dead horse with the M1 data, ah well, we will see.  Fingers crossed I have another 2 slots on FT tomorrow, so hopefully the weather will be better!

Hope you like it,
Mark Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 05:01:21 pm »

Congratulations Mark, your time and dedication has really paid off. Schelia is really moving very quickly. Good luck on having it presented on the telecast!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:03:09 pm »

Excellent work Mark!!, she is really moving, love the rotation  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 09:06:36 pm »

Top job,Mark.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 09:47:12 pm »

Thanks for the kind words chaps! I really enjoyed getting this image today, hopefully there will be a couple more available slots tomorrow if i'm lucky Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 01:26:37 am »

Nicely done Mark. I shall keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow's Stargazing Live.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum