Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 01:28:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Between Storms, Part 3

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Between Storms, Part 3  (Read 292 times)
rjgjr
« on: December 31, 2010, 12:34:50 am »

It seems like all my topics are between storms, but they really are. One of my sons was up from California and we had a chance to do a little photography together yesterday before he had to head back home today. It looks like we're going to end up just shy of 130" of rain for the year, which is about 50" above normal for us. What kind of averages do you get the other side of the globe?

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 11:26:39 am »

Love your photos Richard!  Very dramatic!  It's always good to meet up with family, we had my parents over for a couple of days this week, it's always nice to catch up!

In terms of rainfall for the UK, I found this map which gives an indication of totals for England, Wales and Scotland http://www.british-towns.net/weather/annual_precipitation.asp not as I would believe it, but I live in the yellow blob in the centre of England.  A slightly different colour scheme, but here's a map of Ireland http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/Precipitation-Map.htm .   Today is a typical day for me precipitaion wise, it's grey sky with light drizzle, might only amount to 1mm or less over the course of the day, however it can do this for days at a time, all of which contributes to that 625mm pa the chart indicates that I receive...
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 03:42:31 pm »

More great shots from the beach,Richard..Strong winds there ,I see. and the creps. are very striking too. Maybe tomorrow, New Years Day, you could start your beach debris photo/log.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 03:56:18 pm »

wow, last two are really outstanding Richard, the waterfall is beautiful however the cloudscape with crep rays really stands out as a winner to me!  Smiley Happy New Year to you and your family.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 10:23:20 am »

Oops. Forgot to mention the lovely waterfall ,you just got the shutter speed right,Richard.
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 04:50:30 pm »

Thanks for comments. Mark, those are quite good sites for precipitation you gave me, I enjoyed going over them. Just about like anywhere else in the world, it all depends on where you live. John, I bracketed about 10 different shots on that particular falls, most of them were so close in looks it really didn't make much difference.  Alot of these falls are set on northfacing hills and are in such deep shade they are alot of fun to photograph and play with.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum