Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 12:33:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Quadrantid Meteor Shower - Jan 3/4th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quadrantid Meteor Shower - Jan 3/4th  (Read 317 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2010, 07:31:09 pm »

The Quadrantid Meteor Shower will peak on the night of Jan 3rd and morning of Jan 4th in a moonless sky. Rates are good and so is the fireball potential, this is definitely one to watch. The meteor shower is followed at dawn by a partial solar eclipse. Here's a good article from Sky & Telescope magazine on this meteor shower...

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/112461119.html

Clear skies and good luck
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 08:16:42 am »

Quite so Martin - we in the IAA are running observing sessions for both the meteor shower and the partial solar eclipse on the following morning - see irishastro.org for details.

The good thing about the Quadrantids this year is that it is the best shower of the year from the point of view of lunar interference - all others are quite poor this year!
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 01:33:56 pm »

The good thing about the Quadrantids this year is that it is the best shower of the year from the point of view of lunar interference - all others are quite poor this year!
Paul, your're right, Quadraintids are certainly one of the best showers in 2011.

Should I say I'll be clouded out on 3/4th?  Embarrassed
well, maybe at least tonight I'd have a few hours...
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 04:13:17 pm »

Looking forward to this one, hopefully the skies will clear-best of luck everyone
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 05:24:50 pm »

Stayed up late this morning watching a Gary Cooper movie (Sergeant York), went outside about 2 am and observed several meteors streaming straight up from the north horizon, had to be Quadrantids. Very odd looking come from the direction! Hopefully we'll have clear skies on the 3/4.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 07:19:42 pm »

Was up last night and periodically checked the skies every hour but total cloud cover apart from a few hazy breaks Angry
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 09:10:10 pm »

I was outside at 11 pm and then again at 3 am, clear skies but a bit of a dud! I saw 2 meteors in 20 minutes the first observation and 4 meteors in 30 minutes the second observation. I checked my watch to make sure I had the correct day, lol. Of course my camera didn't pick anything up either. The bed sounded better so I closed up shop. Pretty pathetic on my side of the globe!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum